• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not a great way to celebrate Veteran day!...CUCV lost power and died on freeway

deepseeman

Hey all,
So I was cruising down the freeway at 65 and about to pass a car. I then realized I was losing speed vice gaining. More accelerator...less speed. No smoke, no idiot lights just a slow fade away. I made it to the next off ramp and she died. tried cranking and she wasnt having it. popped the hood and it seemed like she was really hot. Checked the oil, it was fine. released radiator pressure and had plenty of coolant. tried to start her and she fired enough for me to get her off the road. Put her on a hook and towed her home. She starts, but wont stay running. mild/lite black smoke. 1/2 tank of fuel. fresh oil and tranny fluid change. fuel filter was changed 3 months ago.

Any suggestions?

cpf240

I'd suggest replacing the short section of return line on the IP with a clear one so you can see if you are getting air in the lines or even enough fuel. If no fuel, the filter might be clogged, even if it is newish. If air, have to trace down the leak. Might also want to pull the cover off the top of the IP and see what it looks like inside. Worst case, time for an IP rebuild. It is not uncommon for the plastic ring in the IP to come apart after so many years.

zout

I kind of know where your thought was to post the thread this way and I understand frustration very well. But TODAY.VETERANS DAY is not about you except its the day you have problems.

Veterans Day is a whole nother subject that stands alone by itself and is honored and remembered by itself.

Hope you get your truck figured out.

Skinny

I'd replace the filter either way just to see what it does. If no bubbles stick a fork in the IP.

You at want to make sure the turbo is OK. Maybe the east gate is stuck open.

cpf240

I also need to add that it is a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo on it. 90k miles.

would a bad IP cause it to overheat?
Ok, didn't know it had a turbo... doubt the IP would make it run hot, but the heat could affect the IP. Could try pouring cool water over the IP and see if it runs, but it sounded like it had time to cool off before you tried to start it again.

the skull

Check to see if the return fitting on the pump is clogged with brown/black
debris. Mine was plugged, I broke out the glass ball/check valve and drove it
like that for a while. The flex ring disintegrated and the 2 parts rode together
a while. The replacement part was 1 piece, no flex ring.

When it happened, I couldn't go over 30-35 mph, and had a blue cloud over
the truck at all times. IP rebuild was worth every penny. Good luck.

deepseeman

ok...so i meant no harm by mentioning Veterans Day. I myself am a Vet and was enjoying the activities I had planned for the days celebrations.

I didnt put gas in it. I have yet to do that. Knock on wood.

I will jump on the injection pump tomorrow and see what i find. I will keep you posted. I appreciate all the input.

So if it is the IP. Who rebuilds them?

NovacaineFix

As for getting it started, the others made good suggestions by checking the fuel pump and IP.

Once it's running, the overheating I would suggest looking at the radiator. Is it a copper/brass aka metal radiator or is a newer style Aluminum with plastic side tanks?
If you have access to it, feel the core of the radiator without burning yourself, you may have to remove the grill for easier access.

coolant_flow_2.jpg

The top radiator hose is the outlet from the T-stat flowing into the radiator, the lower hose is the flow into the water pump.
With this in mind, the hottest part of the radiator should be the driver's side and progressively gets cooler as it flows through towards the passenger side.

Does the core feel cold or not hot at all? If so, then your radiator is plugged, well the core of it is. If that's the case, you'll need a new one.

When the core is clogged or several tubes of the core are clogged, it usually only overheats under heavy load or on uphill grade.

Good Luck Man.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Went over to help out Deepseeman, he is literally right down the street from me.
He has some mechanical demons hiding inside, sadly.

The truck runs, well it did, the IP sounds good, did not have a pressure tester or anything like that, but there is a loud clackity noise coming from the rear left bank(passenger side) under the valve cover.
When the engine was running, there was light black smoke coming from the exhaust, but with the noise, it sounded like the engine was missing a cylinder or 2.

If anyone knows a good Diesel mechanic in the SD area, maybe list them here or send deepseeman a PM.
All the good reputable shops I know, either don't work on diesels or don't work on these.

I suggested to pull the pass. side valve cover off to see if there was a bent pushrod/broken or loose rocker(s). Hopefully, it is a minor repair and not a stuck valve or something like that.

BTW, his 6.5 turbo setup, is the cleanest version I have seen, I should have taken some pics, looks **** near factory.

Deepseeman - here is pic of what looks like under the rocker cover. I suspect, that you back 2 are stuck or broken from the noise we heard:
20140603_200129 copy.jpg

As I was explaining, if the shaft is loose or broken, you lose 2 cylinders as they are grouped in pairs. 4 rockers per shaft.

fujiford

Same thing happened to me. Fuel station had bad fuel. Changed fuel filter twice and added fuel treatment. Never had the problem since. Never use that station again. Fuel at local truck stop.