• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not another M109 camper conversion

63sierra10

Well here it is yet another camper conversion. I started with an M35A2 which I bought about 8 years ago from Eastern Surplus. About 6 years ago I bought the 109 shelter for the back, ( Idahomotorpool.com) which was a long drive. I am now working on doing the full modification after about 5 years of just carpeting and a couch in the back. Plans are to use 2 water tanks for a boat that I got very cheap and a shower, a large bunk bed and an RV furnace, range, and sink. Then a tankless LPG hot water heater and power inverter are also in the works. I got a 70 gallon propane tank from pickup to mount on my generator trailer and so on . Here are a few pics of what it is now. More to follow so stay tuned.

Attachments

63sierra10

I forgot to mention that I added a hardtop this past weekend. It had a small dent in it but came out pretty well, but hey what can you say for 100 smackers.[thumbzup]

phil2968

Looking forward to see your conversion come together.

Warning, good ideas that you may post are subject to being copied by the rest of us doing conversions!:wink:

63sierra10

Warning, good ideas that you may post are subject to being copied by the rest of us doing conversions!:wink:[/quote]

Copy away, some of my ideas were taken from what I have seen and some are my sick, twisted, ways.

63sierra10

I tinkered a bit this past weekend off and on, I bought a new remote brake reservoir from a speed shop for 30 bucks and it is all aluminum, I like it better than the plastic for the durability, I got my tires from Alfa Heaven last week, I am going with 11.00 X 20. When I get to doing the brakes and tires this weekend I will get some more pics.

63sierra10

Ok I got a little more done over the last couple of days. Here are a few pics. The only thing I didn't get pics of yet are the tires. I put some 11.00 X 20's on it. Still have the front tires to mount up. I also put new wheel cylinders in and got the bearings repacked. I put a new alternator from Wolverine Tech on and also did a 12 volt add on for the camper conversion. The top is one I bought for 100 smackers, not bad... It needed new mud flaps so I fabbed up a couple out of some 16 ga. I had laying around.

Attachments

63sierra10

Yes it was. I had a lot of interest, and one guy showed up to look at it. He drove it around but he was a tire kicker that didn't even know what he was looking at. He couldn't even drive it without slipping the clutch.

jbingvtx

I considered bidding on it because I have family in Wyo that I could visit while I was recovering it. My 540 mile recovery from
Ga to Wv was an adventure I couldn't imagine driving all the way back from Wyoming. Glad you are back to work on it, deuce
campers are cool.

63sierra10

Tires and brakes are all done. I put on 11.00 X 20's from Alfa Heaven and brought it to the house to start work on the inside of the camper area. First thing is to start wiring it for 110V lights and 12V lights also. I will be putting a few outlets in at the same time. I will post more pictures as progress advances. I do need a set of slave cables if anybody has a set or knows of a set with the two pin ends. I decided to go with using the slave cable connections to run the 12V into the back as the batteries are in the truck. I also got my boost guage installed and soon will have a pyrometer in too.

vinny-socom1

How about some big tires...just playingroflrofl I've been converting a duce frame set up to a trailer..good ideas here I was planning on useing a tankless water heater too.

Vinny

Attachments

m109guy

Little known fact about the M109 is that there is already 12v in the back of the truck. You can easily tap into it without any major retrofitting of the wiring system. Nice feature as it means you can just use power from the main batteries without a converter.

Good luck on the project.

vinny-socom1

Little known fact about the M109 is that there is already 12v in the back of the truck. You can easily tap into it without any major retrofitting of the wiring system. Nice feature as it means you can just use power from the main batteries without a converter.

Has anyone determined how many amps it will handle?

Vinny

63sierra10

12v

The only problem I have is the 109 I have was a Forest Service command unit after it's Military life, so all the wires were cut and so on. I can't seem to get all the screws out to expose the old wiring channel either. I wanted to run external wiring in a conduit anyway for ease of adding and maintianing later. I plan to use an RV power inverter to keep the batteries charged when using 110V plug in and to run my water pump, furnace, 12V lights and on and on. I love your truck I actually am using a lot of your ideas to make mine. (Just don't tell anybody)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks