• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not Charging

MATT

I haven't worked with generators at all. I am only getting 24.4 volts-low at the batteries and on the back of the 60 amp generator. I am assuming the larger battery cable coming from the gen goes to a constant bat pos source when the engine is running. Where does the other smaller pig tail go to? I have 0 volts at the pigtail wire. Is there a circuit breaker somewhere? What else could go wrong? I replaced the gen and same problem! The batteries hydrometer at 1175 to 1200-fair/low. Could this be the problem? Any thing else I am missing?

Thanks guys
Its a M35 multi-fuel turbo. internal 60 amp 28 volt gen. brand new replacement gen.

Jones

Generator or alternator? The small wire is usually the field lead which has to be energized, either through the regulator or off the run side of the switch, to make it all work.

MATT

The ID plate on the gen. says generator 60 amp and so on. If the small wire is supposed to be energized then somethings wrong. It has 0 volts on the small pig tail wire. Which switch does it connect to, the push button start button or the actual switch next to the engine stop? Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some information for you. That heavy wire (4ga?) under the cover on the alt weaves with the harness but attaches to the hot post at the starter (sameone with the main batt cable). The ground is obvious and everone has explained the field wire. You can jump batt power to the field wire to check that you alt is charging the head back and trace the problem with the field wire.

MATT

UPDATE: No voltage on field wire from ignition switch, replaced ignition switch and adjusted generator. Problem fixed. While under the dash looking at the ign switch, there was no "number 1" stamped wire like the diagram says. There are two number 11 wires. Anyone seen this? ALso there is a post on the gen that charges at 14 volts that I didn't know about, might come in handy. Thanks for all the replys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks