• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

not charging

cturbo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trucks new batterys keep going dead so i checked the charging system and its only showing 23.8 volts at the batterys.My dads truck shows 27.9 volts at idle.Is this likey the voltage regulator? if so could someone tell me where to find this thing, cuz its not on the firewall.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Near where the wires attach, there is a hex plug. You need to remove that and grab a slotted screw driver. Under the hex plug is a pot. that will adjust the voltage output up/down. Use the slotted screw driver to adjust it.

cturbo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys but that wasnt it.so i replaced the gen with a used one and I got he same exact reading.What could this be??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you follow the test/troubleshooting proceedure in the TM...

cturbo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked the ground wire it checked at 0ohms.I tested the generator with the truck running and it measured 23.8 volts.so I am guessing this is a bad one too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which ground wire?

The small wire on the alt needs to have switched power. Does it?

There is a step by step trouble shooting procedure. It is alot more efficient for you to follow that, than for 30000 members to offer ideas randomly.

If the troubleshooting procedure fails to find your problem, that is when I would ask for ideas.

stancanpara

Which ground wire?

The small wire on the alt needs to have switched power. Does it?

There is a step by step trouble shooting procedure. It is alot more efficient for you to follow that, than for 30000 members to offer ideas randomly.

If the troubleshooting procedure fails to find your problem, that is when I would ask for ideas.
I agree.... if the credit card is good, you should be able to charge....rofl

Seriously, the step by step procedures are your best bet! To me, it sounds like the alternator just needs to be adjusted up a little. Don't turn the screw TOO much, it's pretty sensitive.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your alternator has 2 wires going under the terminal cover. One is "large" and one is "small". The small wire has to have voltage when the ignition switch(on the dash) is turned on, it excites the alternator.

If you follow the test proceedure in the tm, it tells you this.

tm america

If you get tired of wasting time and money on 40 yr old (good)take offs.. i could set you up with brand new alt with a warrenty probably for the same or less than you paid for the ones you been getting .. check the classified for my kit.Also dont forget you might have a bad battery. Check the voltage on each one separately.. If they arent the same that might be the problem why you are killing alts

Last edited:

cturbo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i checked that little wire no voltage.I traced it back to the switch and here the wires were plugged in wrong.Put them in according to the TM and now nothing works.So I am assuming the switch is bad.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull the switch and test it with an ohm meter. replace if nessasary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks