• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not moving M998

1badboy

Transfer case issues

Hello guys I've got a 87-998. 6.2. 2 wheel High I've lost reverse in the front has started to do crabbing when I turn the wheels. If I put it in low range or high range I have reverse. What happened to my transfer case thank you

Action

2 Wheel High? The fronts are probably binding, because you have the t/c in the wrong gear on non slick ground. -10 operator's manual... keep it in H for normal driving.

1badboy

I have it in the high range. It ran fine until just the other day. Now when I turn the wheels it started crabbing. When I put it in reverse it made a funny sound when I gave it some pedal it just stopped in reverse. Soon as I put it into 4 wheel high or low I had reverse again isn't this a transfer issue

dhaumann69166

Sounds more like a tranny issue than transfer case. What do you mean by crabbing? I have had leaf springs break and make vehicles crab walk, I have had broken frames cause crab walk but I have never seen a full time four wheel drive vehicle crab walk....especially while turning.
Are you in high or high lock? Should be in the second position from the front. HL, H, N, LL.

1badboy

It's a military Humvee it doesn't have leaf springs. From what I've read when you take it out of 2 wheel High and go into 4-wheel high or 4-wheel low you bypass the transfer case. Hence then is when I have reverse. So I'm pretty sure it's not a transmission problem

tomelroy

what transfer case are you running? Most Military Humvee's use the 218 or 242 transfer case which does not have 2wd. Unless you have a replacement transfer case with 2 wheel drive like a 241. I am curious which transfer case you are running. Some pics of your shifter and transfer case will help.

dhaumann69166

It's a military Humvee it doesn't have leaf springs. From what I've read when you take it out of 2 wheel High and go into 4-wheel high or 4-wheel low you bypass the transfer case. Hence then is when I have reverse. So I'm pretty sure it's not a transmission problem
No Humvee has leaf springs military or civi. Simply saying the issue you are describing “crabbing” is hard to achieve without major malfunction in a full time 4wd/ four wheel independent suspension. Crabbing or dog tracking is when the back end and front end are tracking different and the vehicle goes down the road crooked. Not really a problem that can be caused by t case. If you are running a stock T case there should not be 2wd. H on the shifter is 4 wheel High. If your front end spins freely then you probably have T case failure.

1badboy

My bad it isn't crabbing it's binding on the front end when I move it now. But why when I'm in the normal Gere I drive it on the street all day long high range why do I not have reverse now. If I shift it into 4 wheel High pull the stick all the way back or put the stick all the way forward I have reverse when it's in the Middle where I normally drive it I don't have reverse. And yes it's a stock tranny whatever came with an 87 with a 6.2 diesel. Thanks for all the replies guy

dhaumann69166

https://www.transgo.org/demo/06-178 4L80E-85E and TH400 Reverse Complaints.pdf
see if this helps.

Can you get all 4 corners off the ground and see if it will spin the tires in reverse without the weight of the vehicle? While off the ground and not running spin the tires and see if the transfer case is working properly and if it’s making any noises. Try going forward and back with the tire quickly by hand to check for play in the diffs, U joints or any parts. Also while you have it up check the CV joints. Search on here and I know there is a thread on how to check/change CV joints.

1badboy

Thought there was something wrong with the transfer case. Not transfer case. normal selector as usual Center of where the transfer case selector is always been. put it in drive it doesn't move put it in 4-wheel high or 4-wheel low it moves what's wrong

Dock Rocker

You posted this in the wrong section so you probably want get much response.

When you put it in gear does the rear driveshaft turn?
Have you confirmed the linkage is actually shifting the transfer case?
Have you confirmed that the linkage on the trans shifter is actually putting it in gear?
Does reverse work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

Yup, something is broken in the driveline. Put in H and D, have someone get under it and look for something that is spinning. Start with the transfer case and see if the front or rear is spinning, then work you way down until the movement stops. Your broken thing will be between the spinning and not spinning parts.

infidel got me

Mine did the same thing a few months ago. I had to get it in the dirt and back up and when I pulled forward all was good. I shifted it into h for highway use, but when I turned in the parking lot (while on pavement) it was bound up. I reversed back onto the dirt/sand road and then pulled forward and all was good.... It acted like it was stuck between gear. Only did it the one time, works fine every time since--- no broken cv axles or transfer case issues IDK wierd

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks