• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not shifting - Time to call a tow truck?

lostintexas

Currently my M1009 is sitting at my office in reverse and will not shift.

It hasn't had the orange gear indicator since I've owned the truck but hasn't been an issue but today when I got in her to drive to work I shifted into reverse to back out of the drive and when I went into drive the shifter didn't feel right and thought I may have gone into 1st or 2nd instead of D. I stopped and went into park and then counted the clicks to make sure I was in Drive. All good for the 15 miles into work, truck ran perfect but here's where I'm at. When I pulled into the parking spot I went to shift into Park and the shifter moved really easily, with zero resistance and the truck went into Neutral instead of Park. I dropped it back into what should have been Drive and nothing, still Neutral. Back up and it went into Reverse and that's where it sits.

To me it sounds like linkage possibly but I'm about as mechanical as a monkey with a hammer and looking for any advise so I can get her home this evening.

I've searched and didn't find anything in the threads. The TMs are downloading now.

Thanks in advance,
L.I.T.

lostintexas

No, have lots of straps and chain but no bar. Could I tow since it is stuck in reverse or would I need to remove drive shaft?

Thanks,
Jat

Skinny

Does your parking brake work?

If so, you could always just set it, climb under the truck and manually move the trans lever on the side of the case. Be aware your truck has no Soldier A behind the wheel and Soldier B is laying under a potentially moving vehicle...FYI.

Another way would be to shift it into gear with the truck off and crank it over by bypassing some of the safety switches or using a jumper wire on the starter relay.

Barrman

I second the "set the parking brake and crawl under to manually shift it" Idea. There are sereral connections between your hand and the transmission that could have come loose.

Look in the -20P to see how all the parts go together. It is really very simple once you lay there and look at it.

If, turning the shift arm on the transmission does nothing. Then you need to persue a rebuild or replacement transmission.

Skinny

I think realistically if the linkage is not the issue, expect at minimum a replacement valvebody or the manual valve. You can drop the pan and see how it works, pretty straightforward stuff. Not sure why it would fail, not exactly a heavy wear prone piece nor does it have much going on to it for it to fail.

lostintexas

Shifter column has no indication of notches that you normally feel when shifting. I think I'll try to crawl under and manually shift but I'll find someone to assist with that one. The more I play with it the more I'm convinced it is linkage somewhere between the column and the transmission.

Again, thank you everyone and I'll let you know how it goes! At least now I have a plan to get it home where I have time and space to work.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "notches" you feel are actually inside the transmission.

lostintexas

Thanks for all the help! Got her home with a little bailing wire. The issue was where the shift rod that connects the transmission to the steering shaft had popped out of the keeper. Looks like the hole it enlarged or part of the bushing is missing. I used the bailing wire to hold everything together and she shifts like a champ!

Now to fix it right will hopefully have time this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

m715mike

Thanks for all the help! Got her home with a little bailing wire. The issue was where the shift rod that connects the transmission to the steering shaft had popped out of the keeper. Looks like the hole it enlarged or part of the bushing is missing. I used the bailing wire to hold everything together and she shifts like a champ!

Now to fix it right will hopefully have time this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

You have got to love bailing wire. I had a M715 break on me one day in the middle of nowhere and bailing wire got me home!

I'm getting to this thread late. Glad to see you made it home safely. Just for future reference, I have a medium duty tow bar, clevis feet (3/4" and 1") and axel straps. Feel free to give me a shout anytime if you need a tow or need to borrow the tow bar.

-Michael

cucvrus

You probably need the spring and the nylon ball that goes from the transmission bell crank to the frame. Common issue at this age of the vehicle. The spring probably rusted away and the half round nylon ball fell out. Maybe even the bracket on the frame is rusted away. Easy fix. Grease the replacement parts up real good and you should be set to go. They are the same on any automatic 4WD or 2WD GMC / Chevy way back thru. Even the older GM cars have the same sping and ball set up. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks