• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not so sure

gvaneck

I recently had the rear main seal on my truck replaced and along with that my mechanic did the oil pan gasket. It started leaking again so I looked at it and it seemed as if it was coming from the oil pan gasket. So I brought in and a day later I called them and they said that the starter bolt had loosened up and caused the starter to rub against the oil pan causing the seal to rupture. I searched and could not find anyone else with the same experience. What I realize now is that my truck when I bought it never had a starter bracket. Because I had the starter rebuilt and put it back in my self. Could that have had something to do with it? I did however find a starter bracket that has been sitting in my house because when I first bought the truck I didn't know what it was. I plan on putting the bracket in with 2 new bolts as soon as I get the truck back but I was wondering if you guys had heard of someone getting an oil leak because of what they described happening

91W350

Never heard of it before, but if that starter was moving far enough to strike the oil pan, your flywheel is toast and you would certainly have heard the odd angle grind.

gvaneck

One time my truck wouldn't start and made a weird noise, was at a friends house let it set look in the engine and at the starter relay tried again and it started right up. That was about 2 weeks ago and has been running fine ever since, except for the leak of course

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the damaged oil pan should be fairly obvious if the leak was caused by the starter.

gvaneck

My truck still started without odd noises, and drove fine so I'm kinda confused that the starter could move that much yet still work.

duchiem1009

Put the bracket on asap. My M1009 didnt have it when I bought it. Needless to say one day no problems with the starter, stopped at a 7-11 hit the key, toasted bendix, toasted flywheel, broken ear on the starter boss. Made a bracket went to a gear reduction starter and new flywheel and bolts, 9 months no ptoblems. but these engines need that bracket.

gvaneck

Just an update it turns out the starter bolt did break off and they already got new starter bolts and installed them, when I go to pick the truck up I'm bringing the bracket and bolts and am going to help install them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks