• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not starting, but started yesterday.

j906harley

Let me start off by saying how neat this group is, lots off good stuff and glad to be a part of it. On to my problem yesterday I changed the two secondary filters on the duce fired it up and took her down the road all is well. Today when I went to start turned over but no start. So I got on here to help find similar problems and hopefully fixes. Here is what I've done so far I checked the bleeder on top of the secondary fuel filter housing good flow of diesel there. I pulled the two screws on the side of the injunction pump to see if the kill switch was working properly and it seemed to work fine acording to other threads. I then cracked the lines loose on the injectors and no fuel was getting to them. I guess my question is when an injection pump goes out does it just quit at once or does it slowly go out? Please help I feel like I'm beating a dead horse asking for help on this subject, but maybe I've missed something and you guys can help. Thank you in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible that the keeper has come off the button on the hyrdalic head. Remove the top center bolt and using a pencil see if the plunger moves up and down as soldier B is cranking the engine.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would first suspect air in the system from somewhere. When you cracked the lines on the injectors did you have all of them loose and crank it long enough to see if fuel came up, 15 to 20 seconds a few times with a pause in between to prevent starter overheating, or just briefly try it? Did you see air bubbles at the fittings while cranking with the nuts loose? If you saw air bubbles then fuel should be on the way. Hold the pedal to the floor while doing this. You might have a small air leak at a filter can gasket or elsewhere, letting the fuel bleed back when it sits for a while. When troubleshooting something like this, always start first with what you did last that changed how the truck ran. Regards Martin

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Looks like you're already finding your way around. Others are chiming in on your Deuce problem - I'll stand by on that.

Again, WELCOME ! (From west Texas)

John

Jeepsinker

If the fuel shutoff lever moves freely ( the little lever under that two screw cover, should move back forward to the 7 o'clock position) then the button keeper has fallen off of the hydraulic head stem. You will need to pull the hydraulic head and reinstall the button and keeper.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible that the keeper has come off the button on the hyrdalic head. Remove the top center bolt and using a pencil see if the plunger moves up and down as soldier B is cranking the engine.
Rember the thread where it was talked about that the plunger still will go up and down even if the button has fallen off. This is not a postive test.

I would first suspect air in the system from somewhere. When you cracked the lines on the injectors did you have all of them loose and crank it long enough to see if fuel came up, 15 to 20 seconds a few times with a pause in between to prevent starter overheating, or just briefly try it? Did you see air bubbles at the fittings while cranking with the nuts loose? If you saw air bubbles then fuel should be on the way. Hold the pedal to the floor while doing this. You might have a small air leak at a filter can gasket or elsewhere, letting the fuel bleed back when it sits for a while. When troubleshooting something like this, always start first with what you did last that changed how the truck ran. Regards Martin
Martin I have never had to take off a Deuce injector line to bleed the system. I do sometimes on one of my trucks let the intank pump run for one or two mins to clear the system. In most cases if there is some fuel pressure at the bleed and you know the finial fuel filter is good then there is a problem with the head. As said above button or fuel control assembely.

That is the greatest thing about a Deuce if all good but you have run the tank dry just add more fuel and let the intank pump do it's job and clear the air. Wish the 250 cummins had a intank to fill the fuel canister and line. they too would start if all is working correct first go around.

Last edited:

j906harley

Okay guys I removed the plug on the HH and put a pencil in it to see if it would move up and down while cranking. Well I got a good flow of diesel to come out and it felt like the pencil was moving maybe 1/8" up and down if that. So the question I have now is should it move more than that? Like a good noticeable up and down move?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I have seen no one has taken a working motor/HH and remove the center plug and use a micrometer and take a reading. Then remove the head ,take off the button and put it back together to take a reading. Would just be easer to pull the head and check the button if you have done everything that has been said. The button is maybe 1/8" thick. The head is not a bad job and no problem if you understand who,what,when and where before you start the job.
Also when you have the head off check for a cracked plunger guide. See pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

j906harley

Okay guys so I took my HH off and found that the button and clip were off. I put it all back together. I guess my question now is can I expect this to happen again? Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

With the button off, it strokes about 1/8" to 3/16", and it needs to be more like 5/16"-3/8". It's hard to tell with the engine flopping around from cranking. It would work better to have someone turn the engine over by hand ( SAFELY PER THE TM) and take a measurement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks