• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now here is something you don't see every day!

zjrog

I don't have any pics, I'll check with my "family historian" (my sister), my Grandfather drove ambulances in France with the Rainbow Division... He never talked about what he saw until after I joined the Navy in 81, and I never heard the rest of his stories before he passed in 85. So likely he drove these... Nice rig.

Jones

Great restoration job! Definately due to your attention to detail.
The more unusual vehicles definately have a place of their own. There are thousands of Model Ts out there for every Model T ambulance.

dburt

Nice job acrane! The government sent many trucks from different makers like Federal, Republic, Packard, Denby, Ford etc over seas during WWI. They fell under a generic name of Liberty trucks. There was a 1917 WWI Federal about 6-8 months ago on EbayMotors in Texas that sold for $5,000 and it was a pretty decent running truck. There is on EbayMotors every now and then a WWI ambulance truck of some kind that they are asking $52,000 for, and it is not even restored in olive drab! I know where there is a rather rare 1915 Packard 3.5 ton D that is restoreable, but pretty rough shape, that would look good as a Liberty truck . Only problem, the guy that owns it wants to much for it. You can see it under the the photo listings in Yesterdaystrucks.com

jets1959

Thanks! You can use the pic in your newsletter if you like.

The Army bought about 4000 of these during WW1 and sent all but a handful to France. About half were used as ambulances, and the other half as utility vehicles. None were brought back after the war, so there are no surviving examples.

I got a copy of the original contractors plans, and built the whole thing from scratch using all the original materials (oak, ash, hard board etc.). It can carry three litters in back and two ambulatory wounded in front next to the driver.

Here is another shot of the finished vehicle.
Wow, nice truck and co-driver!!!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks