• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now These Are Brakes !

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice.. now you can lock up the brakes! There is a kit used by the military for ABS on these, to prevent loss of control when empty. An empty 5T with air brakes on the back is touchy.

joec

RE: Re: RE: Now These Are Brakes !

New chambers are pretty cheap. If that is the problem.

Dave what are they on i see 6.44's for gears.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the rockwell/timken can be either type of air or juice brake, it is just a matter of changing the backing plate. the hard part would be finding a doner truck for the parts. it sure would be nice to have straight air on the 819. i have seen that setup on a 818 that was used as a offroad tractor for a power line constution co.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes but wedge are known for sticking if the wedge is not kept gressed, that is the advantage of the s cam, everything is on the outside except the pull back springs

Ron you are correct. if you look at the way the wedge style are mounted on the 900's you can see why they are out of harms way a little more. also they are much smaller in diameter and that keeps them off the ground a little more. i have a set of 900's and i will get a shot of them a little later. the maintence needs to be done on the wedges tho for sure. also kind of a pain to adjust but i never minded doing it. i would rather have these in the mountains any day over the s cam.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i have wedge on the xm977, on the 900 wedge do you cage them by turning the cage bolt in or out, according to my books there two wedge cans, one cages in the other cages out

dont know on these.how can you turn one out and have it do anything? must have a shoulder that locks against the housing or a slot that it goes in to? interesting. i have a brand new set but have never used them yet. i will look when i go out to take pics. the s cam brakes that i started this thread with are headed to the scrap yard. i tried to get them but he needed the rears on to tow the darn thing. :cry:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
on the wedge, take off the cover along with the vent hose, unrder the cap is a 9/16 headed bolt, this is the gage bolt, it stays in the pot all the time, depemding on the type of wedgeyou turn this bolt all the eather in or out to gage it, the bolt stays down, just pulls or pushs i think the spring seat, iif i could scan my book pages i would then you would see what im talking about

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i found out the hard way that there was two types of wedge, i found one type in my books, so i stoped looking, thought i was backing off the rears on the 977, hooked up to it , get out in the middel of the interesction , droped it, hooked up to the front so i could turn it around, went to bacbup, wont roll, didnt want to dink with it in the road (by this time traffic did look apon me as a postive thing), just rehooked up the rear and put it back in the same spot from where it started from.. then went in and READ the book to see what was wrong, on the NEXT page shows the OTHER type DA :idea: :oops:

Cdub

While we're on the subject of air brakes.......

Why would the 900 series five tons have two sets of brake chambers on the rear axles for each drum......??

Is the single chamber for the air E-brake....?

Thanks,

C'dub

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the second pot is a spring brake, this sets if theres no air and manual release

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks