• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP 200 T case.

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NP 200 T case.

True the M715 does use regular U-joint yokes. I don't know about the M37. I personally would not use an NP200. It is not a transfer case from the modern era and was not designed for a heavy truck. I believe it was designed for the M37 and similar light duty civilian pick ups. In my opinion, it was not a strong enough case to use in the M715 especially considering in 1967 they could have used the NP205. A few odd M715 series trucks were converted to use the 205 by the military. I would do everything possible to look at the feasibility of swapping a NP205 to use the lower rear output as it is a much stronger case. Then you will have the ability to use all 32 spline yokes and run just about any U-joint you want. I still think lubrication is going to be an issue unless you really think out the distribution of the oil from the pump idea.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just the amount of folks taking out the 200 on the "Zone" has to tell you something about the case. Then again, there is nothing wrong with a properly adjusted sprag but they get scrapped all the time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Well, not to put you off again but, lots of people have looked into an oil pump to put on the 200 cases. Nobody has done it yet. The money it would take is long.

Barrman

The money and the fact that oil pick up on a M37 or M715 would be at the drain plug hole. So, you have a nice expensive brass fitting as the lowest point on the truck ready to get knocked off my mud, branches or whatever you choose to run over. Tucked up in your Ford and turn sideways, that won't be a problem. NASCAR rear axle lube pumps seem to be the best "almost fits" item out there.

Most everybody who has posted is right though. The 200 was built for engines that had no more than 130 hp in trucks that had 7,500 max weight ratings with an expected top speed of around 45.

Yes, 1310 u-joints.

Just get an airshift M35 t-case. They are about the size of a small block Chevy, but they should meet the requirements you seem to have. Lower drive shaft angles and able to handle large loads.

Elwenil

And also remember that with a divorced case, you can drop the case independent of the transmission and engine. Honestly, with the top input on the Rockwells and the ability to drop the case a few inches, how bad can your angles be that you would need to turn the case vertical?

amanco

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NP 200 T case.

It is not a transfer case from the modern era and was not designed for a heavy truck. I believe it was designed for the M37 and similar light duty civilian pick ups. In my opinion, it was not a strong enough case to use in the M715
The 200 was built for engines that had no more than 130 hp in trucks that had 7,500 max weight ratings
Call me biased, cynical or just plain stupid. I don't care. I just want to know who, other than those that have burnt their NP200 up from loss of oil, has ever destroyed a NP200 by over powering it or running it thru a drive train that was just too much for it? Other than over heating due to high RPM, which it was not designed to do.

Any one familiar with the track record of the Dana Spicer 18? You can use it for a door stop or even toss it to the kids to kick around like a toy out in the back yard. But at the same time many a Jeep enthusiast has put a high output V8 in front of it and turned tires in excess of 36" all day long.

Also I was shocked at how much more beefier my M37 was than a civilian Dodge Power Wagon truck from the same era. I expected the same drive train, just different sheet metal. Not so much. I wouldn't put the M37 and it's civilian counterpart in the same category at all. No comparison!

I wouldn't discount the NP200 and I desperiatly want to see photos of the fatigued NP 200 T/C that failed due to over power.

Barrman

I have a 396 Big Block Chevy with a NV4500 in my NP200'ed M715. My avator shows me dragging a M35 home with it. I have also pulled another M715 on a 2500 pound trailer more than 500 miles one weekend with it. Running 54mph the entire way.

I figured out 54 to be my top speed because of the t-case. With no top on, 1/2 doors and going down the road at 60 or so for at least 30 minutes, I can smell the t-case. Then I can feel the oil heavy air on my hands. The first time I did this, I stopped and took a reading of the case temperature. 278 was common all over it. That is with new seals and Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil along with the output moved to the center for the rear drive shaft. Running no faster than 2500 rpm drive shaft speed normally gets the case up to around 230-240. But, no oil leaks out. I do check the oil level every few hundred miles and change it every few thousand.

However, I have never had any strength issues with it. Just heat and no pto port.

Elwenil

I never said it wasn't a strong case, I said it wasn't designed in the modern era, meaning that it wasn't designed for today's highway speeds and it wasn't designed for heavy truck, as in 1 ton and heavier or anything running Rockwell axles. I have seen a NP200 split in half while wheeling in the snow. A buddy got stuck and was rocking the truck and the case busted in two. He wasn't really being that rough on it. I base the NP205 as being strong and a better case since it generally comes with large 32 spline shafts and can run 80 MPH all day long and even run in low range and ridiculous RPM without screaming and sounding like it's coming up through the floor. The NP200 is a good case for the comparably lighter weight and much slower speed vehicles it was intended for but I would not consider it to be a good case for the application this gentleman is looking to put one in. I consider the D18 in the same light. Great for what it was intended for and it does well when swapped into a light weight Jeep, buggy or truggy for off road use but again, I would not consider it for an application such as this or even for my Ramcharger with it's intended use.

gimpyrobb

Do what you want, but if I were going from a 38 inch tire to a 53 inch tire, coupled with 150hp jump to 700, I would not take the chance. Hell I pull started a 30 thousand pound 5ton wrecker with my half ton pickup. The 200 very well may live for a month or so, but I doubt it. I would rather have something installed that doesn't have a questionable past. The R&P ratio isn't that much of differance(5.87 to 6.71) so the tires WILL put more stress on the case. I would just hate to have to see you rework everything.

gimpyrobb

Anyhoo, to answer your question, you can probably pick on up fairly cheap if you post in the wanted section over at www.m715zone.com You will have to sign up to be a member to use the classifieds, but it is a free site.

ucfjeeper

I posted a want ad over there for an NP200 a long time ago. A few hits on the thread and a lot of people willing to sell one... until they find out they're on the other side of the country and are going to have to ship it, even at MY expense.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

i dont like the 200 cases for mud trucks. your better off buying an scs or a deuce case airshift case cause your going to buy one in the long run. i snapped off an output for a 200 and spent 4 months finding another one. i dont have much power in my truck and my 53" tractors are light compared to the michelins your going to run. my truck is also light weight compared to a ford. im sticking a deuce case in my truck. i dont care if i destroy one of them, i know where to get more.

Fordtrucks

Thanks again for all the replies guys. I am considering only running 44s since I have recently found a set of new ones cheap. To the guy who posted the pic, How does that NP200 hold up? My truck will be ran in the mud on occasion, but will mostly be a street queen. I have always wanted a big truck so now I am building one. I have some ideas on how to make an oiling system for the NP200 to keep it oiled and cooled. If someone here had a modified 205 for sale I would consider that as well. The 200 seems like the only affordable way for me to go. I have looked at several forums where they build trucks like these and this case is popular. The rock wells are geared pretty low for the 44s or even 54s. I think this case might work or might have to work since my options are limited. There seems to be mixed feelings on this board about its actual strength, The only problem I hear about is over heating at higher speeds. I figure if I fill it with Lucas oil and tap a hole a couple inches from the bottom, suck the oil out with an electric pump, run it through a cooler with a small fan and return the oil to the case at the top of the housing near the planetary which will allow the cool oil to fall to the bottom. I would think this could solve part or most of the heating problem as well as provide oiling for the gears near the top of the case where oil flow will be limited...

I am trying to hear all your opinions here guys and I appreciate them all. This is a play toy, and I don't see me breaking a T case in half, but ya never know...I just done\t see any other affordable option.....?

ucfjeeper

it all depends on your definition of affordable. In all actuallity, if you're gonna be running it on the street, the np200 will work and it will fit most peoples budgets. If your gonna run it on the street for long distances and a long time, I'd go with a box specifically made to be a drop box, ie; profab / scs. They have a tendency not to fit most peoples budgets. aka $2000 - $3000.
I have another buddy that has 2 completely "street queen" DAILY DRIVER trucks running rocks. 1 is a 4 door s10 blazer, the other is a Hummer H3. They're both short wheelbase vehicles. In the blazer, he's running an np200. In the H3, he's running an atlas case only because the stock hummer case had some problems with the all wheel drive electronics not being in the rocks and it kept locking into 4 wheel drive as he was driving. So, you don't necessarily NEED an NP200 to drop the drive angle. His shafts on the H3 have some decent angles to them, but nothing that he gets any bad vibrations from.
This is the s10 blazer and the hummer;
http://a975.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/83/l_0a265cf3f6433579f32b375bbf18b32e.jpg

Delby

hey fordtrucks are you talking about the transfer case out of a deuce or one out of say a army ambulance. I've got both. they both have a extra output shaft on the rear for a e brake I'm guessin. plus where are you located at. I'm here in Utah.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks