• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Np205 + 700r4

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In preparation of some cross-country driving in my M1028, I want to upgrade my stock TH400 + NP208 to a 700R4 and a bullet-proof NP205. The issue is, I cannot accomplish this by myself, and therefore need the services of a reputable shop to provide the hardware and labor. Does anybody know of a shop on the east coast which can provide these services? Thanks in advance for the help.

cliffyp

Sorry, can't help with recommendations. I am curious though, why you want to swap trans. Are you looking for the lower first gear or the overdrive for your trip? I was curious so I plugged the numbers, you wouldn't hit 2000 rpm's till you started crossing 80 mph! Man I love your truck's look! Good luck with the swap.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trans is gonna hate those gears & tires.
Well if that's the case, maybe I should stick with the TH400? Regardless, I would really like to get rid of the NP208. I blew out a 208 in 1987 on I-80 in York, Nebraska. It was around 2:00am on a Sunday morning, coming back from Elk hunting in a K20 civi truck. It was below zero and it was snowing to beat the band with high winds. It took me till the next Wednesday to get back on the road with a new transmission at a cost of close to $1,000. I swore right then and there that I would never start out on a long trip again with another NP208.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard M1028 gears - 4.56.

Yall have convinced me to retain my TH400. But I definitely want to get rid of the NP208 transfer case.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a pretty staunch advocate for the 700R4 in most cases. It can certainly be built to handle anything the truck can dish out but as Cliffy pointed out, OD would be all but useless with the 43" tires you have!

Iceman3005

The 700r4 is not a bad trans, I have done several of these swaps. 700r4 + np208 and 700r4 + np205. I have been running my cucv with a 700r4 + np208 for 2 years now with no issues, of course I have stock tires. If your worried about trans breaking there are a few simple upgrades that can be done so the trans can handle just about anything you throw at it. There is a couple of companys out there that make a 700r4 that can handle well over 800 hp or tow heavy loads.

This is a very simple straight foward swap, would highly recommend it. The lower first gear will help get the truck moving easier, and the overdrive will drop your rpm's about 30%. I went from 15 mpg to 19-20 after the swap.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. I believe I will retain the TH400 in its stock configuration for now (my truck has less than 13,000 miles and shifts perfectly), and swap out the 208 for a rebuilt 205 over the winter. Now I need to explore and learn about sources for the 205. ORD offers a good-looking case but it is a little pricey http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/transfercaseparts.htm . If anybody know of other sources please chime in.

sebaeb

If you drive your truck on a daily basis it would be worth putting the 700r in the truck... they can be built to handle just about anything you can throw at it; the 6.2 will be no match for it......

wayne pick

After fooling around with the 700 that came with my truck, an older unit that I had rebuilt, and blew up after less than a year, I bit the bullet and had Monster Transmissions build me a soup to nuts HD 700-R4. It shifts rather harsh from first to second, and very firm the rest of the way through. If you are going to build this trans, you have to go all the way. A stock or even a stage-2 shift kit is not enough. As far as towing, I have to admit I have never towed with it, but I do help a buddy with his plowing route at times. We plow a private road that is nothing more than a single lane path lightly sprinkled with some item-4 about a mile through the woods. I managed to wreck The 7 1/2' fisher plow with this truck, so I think plowing may be harder than towing on the trans. It still shifts like the day I installed it.