• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP208 emergency rear cover?

welpro222

Does anybody know if someone makes a rear cover of some kind for the rear of the NP208 incase I need to remove the rear driveline and drive in FWD. I the event that the rear driveline is disabled, people with a np205 and other transfer cases can remove the driveline and continue driving with the front wheels.

Because most of us have slip yokes in the rear of the NP208, it would drain the fluid in an event like this.

scottladdy

Or, install a fixed yoke in the 208. Problem solved. Of course you will need a different driveshaft if you do this ...

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stop by the autoparts store and get a tail shaft plug. We use them all the time when swapping transmissions. Pull the slip yoke out and it goes in it's place. They are multi fit so just press in until contact with the seal is made.

welpro222

I have no plans to convert as of right now, I was just thinking of a device to plug the rear of the transfer case in the event im in the woods and the u-joint/driveshaft is damaged and I can remove it and drive home in FWD.

nyoffroad

The plug mentioned in post #8 is a great idea as are some of the others but will they stay in place driving back home?
I can tell you one thing that will, my son does a lot of demolition derbies and ran a Chevy Blazer one year. Only two wheel drive trucks were allowed so that meant a drive shaft had to be removed but they never said which shaft! I suggested running it as a front wheel drive cause of all the weight would be on the front wheels. We solved the rear shaft problem by drilling a hole in the center of the shaft (IIRC it was all ready center punched) and threading it for a 3/8" bolt, then used an old worn out yoke drilled a matching hole and cut some of the spline section off and it worked GREAT!
Not your simple in the woods fix, but if you prepared for it and carried a spare yoke....but by that time you might just as well carry spare u joints. Oh well it wa a thought.

jam

So would these be the kinds of plugs we are talking about? and would you need to bind it to the transfer case with a tie down or something?
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-23400-Transmission-Transaxle-Plug/dp/B000P0U04G
[h=1]Lisle 23400 Transmission/Transaxle Plug[/h]
It appears to be a set of plugs:

• Five stepped plugs fit both transmissions and transaxles on most import and domestic cars and pickups
  • Stepped design prevents slipping out
  • Plugs cover a range of 1" - 2.180" (25.4 millimeter - 55.37 millimeter)
  • Adapter 23450 includes side gear centering for Ford Transaxles

But I've also seen gradient versions. As nyoffroad said above... I have no idea if these would stay in for the trip home... maybe a tie down and a harness of some sort would ensure it worked?

Seems like a great idea to save your bacon if you run into the rear drive issue!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So would these be the kinds of plugs we are talking about? and would you need to bind it to the transfer case with a tie down or something?
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-23400-Transmission-Transaxle-Plug/dp/B000P0U04G
Lisle 23400 Transmission/Transaxle Plug

It appears to be a set of plugs:

• Five stepped plugs fit both transmissions and transaxles on most import and domestic cars and pickups
  • Stepped design prevents slipping out
  • Plugs cover a range of 1" - 2.180" (25.4 millimeter - 55.37 millimeter)
  • Adapter 23450 includes side gear centering for Ford Transaxles

But I've also seen gradient versions. As nyoffroad said above... I have no idea if these would stay in for the trip home... maybe a tie down and a harness of some sort would ensure it worked?

Seems like a great idea to save your bacon if you run into the rear drive issue!
Yes. That's it.
Lots of caps for the TH400 in eBay also.

They are not designed for running down the road.
Shop use only so you don't make a mess with fluid running out while working on it.
With that said, the lipped plugs on eBay look like they would work with the seal holding them in.
Not sure.

Something already suggested like a paint cap or soda cup with tape may/will work better than the plugs running down the road.

choll

I had my rear shaft break once and had to drive over a hundred miles with out it. I used a coors light can and duct tape. I saw that in off road magazine years ago. coors light because its a little thinner then most beer cans. If Americans were not such pigs, throwing trash out car windows, I would have had to get the truck towed. Luck was with me that night I found a can in about 2 mins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks