• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

np208 Is this normal

marks86

pinion support question

I have a 1986 k10 Chevy with a 14bolt rear. The guts are out of a m1028(4.56 Detroit) but the housing is from a 1989 suburban. I've read somewhere that the pinion supports are different from the old housing vs the new ribbed style housing. Could this be my rear end problem I've been chasing?

marks86

I've been trying to track down a bearing noise/wobbling driveshaft issue, which sounds like its coming from my transfer case. I figured I would remove the tail housing and replace the bearing, bushing, and seal. Once I removed the tail housing, the entire tail shaft became loose to the point where I can move it 1/2" in every direction.

Is this normal, or should the tail shaft stay tight even with the housing removed?

86m1028

Some movement is normal.
The bearing & bushing is there for that reason.

How many mlies are on that case ?
Why not go ahead & rebuild the 208 ?
Check your rear output yoke, u joints & mounts.

Last edited:

marks86

the TC only has 30k on it, but the tailhousing is off of a different truck(thanks to GL) with 140k so I think I should just start by replacing the bearing/bushing/seal

marks86

np208 Loose Slip Yoke

I noticed a small amount of up and down play in my slip yoke of my 208, so I pulled the tailhousing and replaced the bearing/bushing/seal that's in there. Put it all back together and still a small amount a play. Found the U-joint to be bad, so I replaced that and still I have a loose slip yoke.

Could it be the slip part itself is worn down and making it loose?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks