• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP208 Transfer Case Leak

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I posted but I ran into a hiccup in regards to the transfer case {NP208} in my M1008. I noticed that ATF was dripping from between the front yoke and the drive shaft u-joint. I removed the four bolts that hold the drive shaft u-joint to the front yoke and received a small puddle of ATF for my efforts. I then removed the nut that holds the yoke to the output shaft and removed the yoke. This time I got a flood of ATF! Fortunately, I had a basin to catch the spill.

Now the tricky part! As you can see in the picture, the nut that holds the yoke to the output shaft has some unusual markings stamped around the edge. There is a - I, II, 3, 3, 6, and 6 stamped around the edge, indicating this nut is somehow clocked, but I have absolutely NO IDEA what these markings mean or how to interpret them. I am hoping someone here has investigated this nut and can tell me what these markings mean, and what the torque specifications for this nut might be.

The next problem I ran into was the rubber washer that is between the nut and the yoke. It seems that this rubber washer is there to stop the ATF from leaving the transfer case between the splines of the yoke and output shaft. Apparently, this process works great as long as the washer is in good shape. As you can see in the picture below, my washer is toast. I tried to source this part at O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Napa. It is just not available at the parts houses. I was able to find a picture of this washer in the -20P, but there was no part number listed. At first, I didn't realize it was a washer. In the tech manual, it looks like a gear or a bicycle sprocket. I did however, find this little gizmo at "Team Grand Wagoneer" for the cost of $1.75 with a $7.00 transportation fee. I decided I would order two since it wouldn't change the shipping cost. Although my local GM dealer didn't have this washer, the part number he provided is 14071715. Hopefully, I will get the replacement washer in a couple of days. Until then, my truck is dead-lined.

If any of you have had this problem before, or if you know what the markings mean on the nut, or if you have the torque specifications to reinstall this nut, I would appreciate a response. Thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to help us.

20230809_134618[1].jpg

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the -34P TMs that’s part #2695149. A quick internet search will lead you to eBay and looks like there are a few NOS options available.

Also while you have that off take a look at that front seal and the yoke. My yoke was grooved/corroded pretty bad where the seal rides and it was chewing up new seals quick and thus leaking, but there is a sleeve you can buy to straighten it back out. See thread below for more info.

And with regards to tightening that nut it’s nothing special. Torque spec is 120 ft lbs.

Last edited:

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the -34P TMs that’s part #2695149. A quick internet search will lead you to eBay and looks like there are a few NOS options available.

Also while you have that off take a look at that front seal and the yoke. My yoke was grooved/corroded pretty bad where the seal rides and it was chewing up new seals quick and thus leaking, but there is a sleeve you can buy to straighten it back out. See thread below for more info.

And with regards to tightening that nut it’s nothing special. Torque spec is 120 ft lbs.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for quick and insightful reply! I didn't think to check the -34P manual. I am chagrined and will be certain to do so going forward. Also, thank you for the torque specification. Fortunately , the yoke shaft is clean and smooth, so I don't have to repair or replace it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks