• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Numb thumb !!

50shooter

Well I may not qualify for a Darwin award but I did pull a dumb numb thumb. We've all heard and learned and read not to have your fingers or hands inside the stearing wheel while driving non-power steer vehicles.

I was about 10 feet in the timber (as in the rear duals hadn't even made it to the tree line) when I hit a rut that one must get a run at in order to make it up the hill into the timber. I had to strong arm the deuce and in the process got my thumbs wrapped around the wheel. In a blink of an eye the steering wheel spun 72 times and nailed both thumbs.

Instant numbness and for 3 minutes I swore to give the truck away. Then the numbness went away and the feeling and wicked pain set in my digits. Now for 5 minutes I'm thinking the deuce is going to be my new .50BMG target. Then it started to go away I decided to just not be an idiot next time and keep everything out of the way of the steering wheel spokes.

I've heard of guys putting suicide balls on their steering wheels too. That could result in a broken wrist quick fast and in a hurry from what I've seen.

I do feel better having shared my bone head move.

Jason

54reo

Seeing as your in IL too, I will graciously take said "thumb offender" off of your hands prior to it being rendered into .50 cal fodder.

Just let me know when it would be a good time to pick it up.

tjcouch

Been there, done that. Kind of. I hit a log one time, and the wheel spun so fast it tattooed my wrist with green paint that lasted for days. If my thumb had been in the wheel it would have been broken for sure.

As always, "Thumbs up!" when off-road.

50shooter

Now you need an M1 Garand to bite that thumbnail right off.:twisted:
Funny you should mention it b/c actually, been there done that too. I was in the AF Honor Guard and was the designated loader. I owned my own Garand and had more practice than the other folks. I don't get tricky or fancy as no one is ever shooting at me while loading. I use two hands from start to finish.

50shooter

Seeing as your in IL too, I will graciously take said "thumb offender" off of your hands prior to it being rendered into .50 cal fodder.

Just let me know when it would be a good time to pick it up.
...but it would make such a big and fun reactive target....I'll keep you in mind and thanks for trying to help be resolve my issue.

flmudder

they can and will break you thumbs if not careful , this is why my old motor pool sgt . called them thumb breakers . lots of people learn this the hard way .so , don't feel to bad . live and learn

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
And then there was the caddiliac of Mv's...the 5tons with PS!!!
No sore thumbs, more capacity...well ok...a little less MPH...but heck!!!
All my deuces have found new owners...except one

JDToumanian

....beware of cracked steering wheels, too.....

I'm careful where I put my thumbs, but thought nothing of a crack in the rim - until the wheel spun and it carved out a big curl of flesh like a scooper through ice cream.

The steering wheel got replaced with a new one after that. aua

FreightTrain

Banned
hee hee hee,I let a buddy drive my deuce one time off road and he actually BROKE his thumb....after I told him to keep your fingers OUTSIDE the wheel and he saw me go through a couple ruts before that and I just let go of the wheel to show him how fast that thing will move.....well,he wrapped his little digits around the wheel like he was driving a CJ7.......Duhhhh.

Kaptin kalen

Ouch...It tried to get me to last sat, I was pulling her out of the driveway and desided to drive it up the hill across the street. My baby was a little sideways. As i started backing up and the steering wheel spun around. I was lucky i was able to let go fast or i would have had dumb thumb......:oops::idea:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks