• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Number placard?

ChromeChicken

Can anyone tell me what the number placard is called? I want to get some numbers for it, but never really knew what this is officially called or what it means. Probably one of the hundred or so things I was curious about but never asked anyone when I was in.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a manual listing all vehicles and the number/letter that is supposed to be posted on each of them if loaded, empty, and with trailer .. The FM55-series of manuals comes to mind without looking as I type this, thus it's likely one of the manuals of that batch .. You might be able to find a free link to read it online .. and as SCSG-G4 above mentions, it does look like the numbers are there if that's your vehicle .. You will have to press in at the top of the twin vertical plates in order to work the top arch piece off the posts in order to sort thru the numbers .. luckily you have a brush guard and could use a screwdriver to pop it off the posts

Last edited:

Maxtwms

Like a previous user noted, there are a stack of numbers in each location, press down on the stack and rotate them out, you can then shuffle to the numbers you'd like. Check the TM if you need a diagram to restructure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was shocked they were all still there! Unfortunately sand and salt between the number plates wore away most of the number paint.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
So, you have nothing to lose. What you have is scuffed up - right?

Spray the base plate 383 green. Then, if you had a stencil and sprayed the number onto the number plates, you could have new numbers.
Not one of those really sexy upgrades but you could do it for not much money...

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... I have 1 inch stencils, so I can write everything ......... when I need 2 or 0.50 Inch or any other size stencils, I go to a copy shop and have what I have written copied enlarged or reduced on thicker paper, cut out the letters or numbers and then I have my suitable stencil........... I believe the numbers on the plates are 3.50 inches

Lothar

If you're only after 2 numbers, it might be just about free to simply cut out the 2 numbers with a xacto knife into some masking tape or a Manila folder or some other thin material suitable for the task. Saving the purchase of a stencil kit.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered a set just for the "C" - like you say - easier than trying to get the stencilling cut. BUT, question for the enlightened masses:

"All numbers to replace the numbers on both side of each plate and the red "C" for the holder." says the blurb in the Delta Team Decals listing. But the "C" can't be put on the holder, if we're talking about the back plate, as the upper removable piece is the lock for the numbers - so it will be there all the time and needs the option to show a 'C' or not.

Another question - Sand/Green + - the C.
.......So bobtailing would have tractor weight, no "C" and could be either Green or Sand.
.......With trailer, would have comb'n weight with "C" and also could be Green or Sand... that's 4 choises ....

but there is only 2 options in the set I have, green Combination and Sand Bobtail - I need Sand "C"ombination....???????

67Beast

Ordered a set just for the "C" - like you say - easier than trying to get the stencilling cut. BUT, question for the enlightened masses:

"All numbers to replace the numbers on both side of each plate and the red "C" for the holder." says the blurb in the Delta Team Decals listing. But the "C" can't be put on the holder, if we're talking about the back plate, as the upper removable piece is the lock for the numbers - so it will be there all the time and needs the option to show a 'C' or not.

Another question - Sand/Green + - the C.
.......So bobtailing would have tractor weight, no "C" and could be either Green or Sand.
.......With trailer, would have comb'n weight with "C" and also could be Green or Sand... that's 4 choises ....

but there is only 2 options in the set I have, green Combination and Sand Bobtail - I need Sand "C"ombination....???????
The red C goes on one side of the holder plate that locks into the top to hold all the number plates. To display the C for combined weight (aka with a towed trailer) you turn the holder plate so the red C faces out and locks the number plates in. To display without the combined weight you turn the holder plate around so the blank side faces out.

DSC_0933a.JPG

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The red C goes on one side of the holder plate that locks into the top to hold all the number plates. To display the C for combined weight (aka with a towed trailer) you turn the holder plate so the red C faces out and locks the number plates in. To display without the combined weight you turn the holder plate around so the blank side faces out.
Yes - got all that - but mine aren't yellow, my truck is tan (desert) and I have green numbers but the top lock plate is green one side and tan the other - I need one of them to have the red "C"... but green to match the numbers? ... and should the back of the "C" be plain green to match the numbers or tan?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes - got all that - but mine aren't yellow, my truck is tan (desert) and I have green numbers but the top lock plate is green one side and tan the other - I need one of them to have the red "C"... but green to match the numbers? ... and should the back of the "C" be plain green to match the numbers or tan?
Don't know the real answer but my M1088 has Green on the front and Green on the back with a Red C.
The M1089 has the same Green on the front and Green on the back and nothing on the back.

Wonder why no mark at all? I know the wreckers don't generally drag a trailer but I would have expected the C to be there along with the ability to drag something heavy behind it. The Stinger can lift the front of any LMTV, MTV and 5-Ton, so it should have a weight rating on the bridge plate too...

Lothar

A purist, I am not. All of my MVs have some customizing. That being said, when my truck was being built, I asked for the bridge plate to be removed before coating but they decided to keep it on and coat over it. Well, I already had at least 3 green bridge plates and the prices of these things are ridiculous in my opinion. So, I'm not buying a tan plate. I put the green numbers and top plate into the coated back plate and I kinda like the way it looks. Might not be for everyone, as much of my preferences aren't, but heres what the color combo looks like.20210810_191524.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks