• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Nut & Bolt" your trucks!

BugEyeBear

More on my recently acquired '71 M35A2....

I was poking around under the hood and noticed that the 2 rear mounting bracket bolts for the IP were quite loose (not even finger tight... in fact they had backed off about 1/16"...) :sad:
So I grabbed some wrenches & tightened them down.

What is interesting about this is that the IP was recently replaced with a new one. So this probably means that "Joe-Mechanic" did a sloppy job at the install and failed to tighten everything up! :doh:

This caused me to doubt the tightness of anything that had been recently repaired/replaced, so I spent a couple of hours putting a wrench on anything that looked like it had been recently touched.
I wasn't surprised to discover that many of the recently touched bolts, hose clamps, fittings, etc. were NOT as tight as they should be. & many were just plain LOOSE! My air horns were VERY LOOSE, one of them was only half way screwed in, & the other was cross-threaded & only held in by 1/4 of a turn! It fell off in my hand! :shock:
Not all of the bolts were loose, but enuf were that I'm glad I spent the time checking & tightening.
It is worth noting that ALL of the old stuff (that hadn't been touched in awhile) was plenty tight....

Must have been recently serviced by "Joe-NEWBIE-Mechanic", or someone with no upper body strength! :doh:

Hope I didn't miss anything VITAL!! :roll:
Guess I'll find out!

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

It probably would have been "safe" for a recovery drive of a few hundred miles...

BUT I'm sure that I would have lost at least one of the air horns, a few bolts, and probably would have experienced some coolant & oil leaks due to the loose items.

That reminds me....
I need to check those lug nuts!! :shock:

3 Lugs on a wheel is normal, right?!?

(.....just kidding!!) :twisted:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but you only really need two!:roll:

hippiedude

Wow ..... Good thing you started poking around .....:shock: You mite want to check them lug nuts just incase joe newbie played tire man ......:razz: Tim

BugEyeBear

Yeah, but you only really need two!:roll:
:?: Is there a story here??!? :?:

I DID also look to see if I had LH-threaded wheel lugs on the left side & RH-threaded wheel lugs on the right side.... (LH has LH, & RH has RH :grin:)

AND I ALSO checked that I had LH turn signal bulbs on the left & RH turn signal bulbs on the right.... ;-)

I'm sure that I'll be paranoid about other potential "Joe-Newbie-Mechanic" fixes for a while to come.

"OH Well"... Nothing that can't be fixed!

emr

These are tactical vehicles as we all know, and that means they need ALL nuts and bolts to get a wrench at least once a year, depending on how much U drive them. Do get a wrench on the nuts and bolts of your jack shafts asap this is good advise to all, they loosen up alot, and when they go will rip a hole in the tranny and floor, i saw it happen to a guy in the MTA, ALL nuts and bolts on these vibrating machines need a wrench...:-D

When I brought home my m211 years a go I drained the rear ends to put in new gear oil and I noticed some chunks of metal I put my finger inside the drain hole and felt more chunks . I pulled the third member out and every thing was fine . I could not believe someone replaced a rear end with broken ring gear and did not clean the metal out of the housing . never know what you will find on these old trucks .

BugEyeBear

These are tactical vehicles as we all know, and that means they need ALL nuts and bolts to get a wrench at least once a year, depending on how much U drive them. Do get a wrench on the nuts and bolts of your jack shafts asap this is good advise to all, they loosen up alot, and when they go will rip a hole in the tranny and floor, i saw it happen to a guy in the MTA, ALL nuts and bolts on these vibrating machines need a wrench...:-D
"emr", I completely agree!

But what annoys me is that the loose bolts on MY deuce were primarily on recently serviced items, & NOT on stuff that normally vibrates loose over time.

This is due to a mechanic being careless, not due to vibrating loose over time. I can only assume that either some "newbie" didn't know what he was doing, OR someone simply didn't take the time to check his work..... :x

BTW: I did also check my jack shafts & drive shafts. All bolts were tight. :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks