• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 install in stock M1028?

Corvette1974

Hello,

I'm interested in installing an NV4500 into my '86 M1028. I feel Like I have read every article available online and on SS but still cannot find this answer. Will the install work in a completely stock truck? Mainly with the external slave to front driveshaft clearance, that seems to be the main question of mine. Everyone seems to have a lifted truck who has done an install.

Thanks,
Will

Corvette1974

So with some more searching I found that external slave is a problem. So one can either use a GM internal slave set up for a GEN 1 engine, or get the advance adapters kit. Both are '96 up options. I think that is my best bet.

Will

southdave

I have done the swap with both the old and the new 4500 no lift was necessary .. You do have to chop hole in the floor for clearance.. the shifter is 1.5 to 2 inches longer than the 4 speeds used in those years so shifter tower will be about 1 up in the cab and will have to mod the 4wd selector a bit and rod to the selector. My 1028 had 208 works fine. 205 is different. If use a 208 the cross member from a 700r4 work perfect no mod fabbing or nothing works excellent.. Wish some would told me that when I did the first one. instead it took 3 weekend fitting and fabbing up a crossmember.. good luck hop it helps..

Corvette1974

I have done the swap with both the old and the new 4500 no lift was necessary .. You do have to chop hole in the floor for clearance.. the shifter is 1.5 to 2 inches longer than the 4 speeds used in those years so shifter tower will be about 1 up in the cab and will have to mod the 4wd selector a bit and rod to the selector. My 1028 had 208 works fine. 205 is different. If use a 208 the cross member from a 700r4 work perfect no mod fabbing or nothing works excellent.. Wish some would told me that when I did the first one. instead it took 3 weekend fitting and fabbing up a crossmember.. good luck hop it helps..
You can use an external slave NV4500 on a bone stock M1028 without driveshaft issues? A hole needs to be cut for the shifter, anything else - clearance for what exactly? What mods to the 4wd shifter?

I was planning on just using a square stock tube to mod the crossmember, if I cant find the factory one.

Thanks,
Will

southdave

My 1028 has the older nv4500.. Shifter towers are different than the newer style. the t case select can remain in place, although you have to mod linkage. as for the cross member I drilled new holes and shimmed it about 3" and used trans rubber mount for the nv4500 which is about 2.5". On my 1009 I used the later style nv4500 I used a crossmember from 700r4 it worked out great with 4bt swap. but the motor sit in the compartment different. But in looking back it would have worked out for the 1028.. the slave cylinder is not an issue at all on either truck..

Last edited:

Corvette1974

My 1028 has the older nv4500.. Shifter towers are different than the newer style. the t case select can remain in place, although you have to mod linkage. as for the cross member I drilled new holes and shimmed it about 3" and used trans rubber mount for the nv4500 which is about 2.5". On my 1009 I used the later style nv4500 I used a crossmember from 700r4 it worked out great with 4bt swap. but the motor sit in the compartment different. But in looking back it would have worked out for the 1028.. the slave cylinder is not an issue at all on either truck..
Awesome thanks for the information! So I can use any transmission more or less, that really opens up the search for transmissions. Your modification to the crossmember is exactly what I plan on, if I cant find the 700-R4 one. The shifter is also not a problem - Just put an aftermarket shifter boot around it. The linkage modification is more what I'm interested in. What does that entail?

Will

southdave

Okay you busted me.. At the moment I do not have either drive selector But I figured a piece of thread rod and a coupler and some jam nuts. And I am good to go.. Thanks it just motivation I need to finish this up.. only been 3yrs on 1028. In my defense I swamped out the engine put a turbo on installed a/c converted gp system..

Corvette1974

Okay you busted me.. At the moment I do not have either drive selector But I figured a piece of thread rod and a coupler and some jam nuts. And I am good to go.. Thanks it just motivation I need to finish this up.. only been 3yrs on 1028. In my defense I swamped out the engine put a turbo on installed a/c converted gp system..
I'll try to get pic when I am home this weekend
Haha alright thanks! That is pretty much what I expected modification wise. That is going to be a sick M1028 when you are done. It will take me a while to gather all of the parts for this swap, but it will be well worth it.

Will

rlltide12

Just FYI. I just did this swap. Since i am lifted i cant speak to the driveline issues. But i can tell you this. The 208 bolts up. The th400 and the nv4500 are roughly the same length. You can use your stock crossmember, all you have to do is use 2" square tubing and make a 4" tall mount with it. You do not have to modify anything else other than cut a hole in the floor. All my transfer case linkage fit just like i still had the th400 in it.

southdave

Just FYI. I just did this swap. Since i am lifted i cant speak to the driveline issues. But i can tell you this. The 208 bolts up. The th400 and the nv4500 are roughly the same length. You can use your stock crossmember, all you have to do is use 2" square tubing and make a 4" tall mount with it. You do not have to modify anything else other than cut a hole in the floor. All my transfer case linkage fit just like i still had the th400 in it.
Your right.. I pick the 700r4 up cross member for 10 to 20 bucks... the humps that accommodates the exhaust and the front drive shafts works well I current have broken mount on the one that I shimed up 2 1/4..

rlltide12

I agree, if i could come up on a 700r4 xmember. I would use that. And if i do come up on one im going to use it. But for now i got what i got. Good to know you broke one you built though.

southdave

I agree, if i could come up on a 700r4 xmember. I would use that. And if i do come up on one im going to use it. But for now i got what i got. Good to know you broke one you built though.
Factory isolatetor is what kind of flooping around think hinge pin on isolator mount.. it takes pounding from the locker and lower gear shifting..

Corvette1974

Thanks for the further info, I'm still trying to source the parts. These NV's are like gold....

Factory isolatetor is what kind of flooping around think hinge pin on isolator mount.. it takes pounding from the locker and lower gear shifting..
Interesting that you broke a custom made one. Did it include a factory style rubber mount?

Will

southdave

yeah that is what is flopping around.. but it not it fault I did not lock washer mount kind worked it way loose.. note that was using the factory crossmemeber on the 1028 not the 1009 which I used the 700r4 you know what I mean, just ate chilli and food comma is insueing.

Last edited:

Corvette1974

yeah that is what is flopping around.. but it not it fault I did not lock washer mount kind worked it way loose.. note that was using the factory crossmemeber on the 1028 not the 1009 which I used the 700r4 you know what I mean, just ate chilli and food comma is insueing.
So it would have worked if lock washers were used? I'll keep that in mind. I mean if it is properly secured I cant see the screaming 150 HP breaking the mount haha

Will

Corvette1974

Alright so I have a lead on every part I need for the swap. However the trans is a 2wd, so I wont be getting that. But would it be worth it to pick up the bellhousing (it is from a 6.2), it is unknown whether it is an internal or external slave. Either way, should I get it or just wait until I find a trans? Worst case I could resell it.

Will

Corvette1974

Bell housing will run you around 150 if you can find one. How much for the 2wd trans?
I don't know how much. I would get it but I need a 4WD one of course, and I think it is pretty complex to convert it. Correct me if I'm mistaken. (I'd love to just get everything for the swap now!) I'll ask how much. I guess I'll get the bell then.

Will

rlltide12

Yea it takes a full mainshaft swap. Pretty good job. But if you can get the bell at a reasonable price and it was for a diesel, you are doing well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks