• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 Pilot bearing vs Bushing?

Corvette1974

Hello all, Real quick question.

I'm installing an NV4500 into my stock M1028 with an Advance Adapters bellhousing. It comes with a pilot bearing, and so does the clutch kit. I have a new pilot bushing laying around, too. Which should I use? I've heard the pilot bearing is not as good because the bellhousing needs to be aligned perfectly, which I don't really feel like knocking out the dowels and getting adjustable ones. Should I just use the pilot bushing?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Will

Corvette1974

The needle bearings have a bad habit of departing and then the input shaft stub gets eaten up.
That is what I am worried about. Never had a problem with the bushings, and never used a bearing. Now I'm leaning towards bearing. I've also heard different stories on whether to oil or grease it or install dry. Any hints?

Will

Corvette1974

I have a spare Jegs pilot bushing. It is made in USA - however it is slightly magnetic. It does appear to have leaked oil through the package so it definitely had oil. Is this safe to use on an NV4500 or should I get the supposedly good one from NAPA? And should it be oiled/soaked or greased?

Will

rustystud

Use the bushing. Bearings are great if you service the clutch on a regular basis ( like delivery trucks) . Or are using a high horsepower engine with lots of torque. But for our trucks, just use the bushing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks