• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nv4500 swap

acesneights1

I was under the impression that speed was limited more by the 4.56 axles than the lack of overdrive... but maybe you're talking about an M1009?
They are directly relative. I can easily do over 70 now too without screamin the motor or burning up belts. It really is the way these trucks should have come.

svlsmokey

One tranny I'm looking at on Craigslist says it comes off of a 454. Will that bell housing bolt up to the 6.2 or will I need a different one?

acesneights1

ehh.....Yes, but from what I was told when I was looking it will but you will have to cut out a v where the starter goes. The nose supposedly hits the bellhousing . I don't know if that issue is 92-94 or all of them.

BTC70

I'm looking into getting this done to my truck, myself. My understanding is that a 93-94 NV4500 for a 4x4 truck will bolt up (and give me both a granny gear and an overdrive), but will anything have to be done to the frame/bracing to mount it in the truck? Also, what else will I need? I know I will need a clutch pedal with hydraulics and a shifter. But what other parts will I need?

Cucvnut

Read my thread. ll your questions will be answered...:D
208 bolts right up to it like it was made for it. There are other issues. I documented everything with lots of pics.

It would help if you put your NV4500 swap thread as a link in your signature. so people dont have to go searching all over SS for it.

ODdave

ehh.....Yes, but from what I was told when I was looking it will but you will have to cut out a v where the starter goes. The nose supposedly hits the bellhousing . I don't know if that issue is 92-94 or all of them.
I am curious about this. Mine came from a 350 (same trans as 454) bolted right up to the 6.2 with no problems.

acesneights1

I am curious about this. Mine came from a 350 (same trans as 454) bolted right up to the 6.2 with no problems.
I can't say, I read it not experienced it but one bellhousing I looked at buying from a Junky on LI had the v cut out and it was on a 6.5TD. I did not buy it but I also did not see it installed on the truck.

acesneights1

Guy at this link did a NV4500 swap on a 1993 Chevy 2500 4WD behind a 6.5TD setup that was originally an automatic; has some info & parts numbers that might be helpful...

DIY: GMC NV4500 Conversion project - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

'Tanner'
rofl

You are kidding right ???
rofl
That very transmission is in my truck....His truck burned and I bought the tranny out of it...Small world...:D
I actually have another NV4500 I am going to buy the parts and have him help me rebuild it.

Last edited:

svlsmokey

The nv4500 I'm looking comes with the 208 and bell housing included.... but I'm looking in the picture and the transfer case appears to have it's forward output shaft on the driver's side. My truck has it on the passenger side... Is it really a 208? Will it fit?

acesneights1

The nv4500 I'm looking comes with the 208 and bell housing included.... but I'm looking in the picture and the transfer case appears to have it's forward output shaft on the driver's side. My truck has it on the passenger side... Is it really a 208? Will it fit?
If you read my thread I covered all of this.
What OD said....x2

svlsmokey

Ok - yes, I finally crawled under the truck and looked closely - it's a 208... yeah, I feel a little silly. Somewhere I read something and got the idea it was a 205... anyway, I did read your thread - lots of good info - still digesting it. Thanks for your patience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks