• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 Turbo400 trans swap

BigBlackTurd

I have an M1010 that I put a pickup bed on. I'm wanting to make the truck more usable as a daily driver. I looked into adding a Gear Venders overdrive, but it's $3000. Seems a little high for a manually operated overdrive. Then I found an article on some guys who replaced a 400 turbo with an MV4500 5speed. I found several websites that sell kits and I've found other articles where guys have just gotten parts from junkyards. I'm needing to know what I need to do this swap. From what I've read, it's not that complicated. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would need a 6.5 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch assembly along with a 4wheel drive mv4500, master cylinder, brake and clutch pedal assembly. Do all these things from a 6.5 fit into a 6.2?

Croatan_Kid

Need another link?

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...n_5_speed_manual_transmission_swap/index.html

I'm sure you've seen that before.

I know some people that can help you out with the brake and clutch pedal assembly. You will also need another transfer case, transfer case adapter, cross member or modify the one you have, front and rear driveshafts, ect, ect. I considered doing it because I want a 5 speed, but a built 700R4 swap is much more cost effective, easier to find parts for, and easier to bolt up with a transfer case.

86M10086.2L

well, if you find anything good out let me/us know. I'm looking to do the exact same thing. But was put off by the $5200 price tag of the kit 4 Wheeler used. I hear tales of people doing it for far less. But those are always in areas of the country where manual transmission trucks are no further away than you can throw a dead cat. But I'd love to do that or I'm gonna do a factory tranny swap with either a SM465 or the rarer overdrive 3spd if I can find one and the gear vendors unit.

AJMBLAZER

The factory OD 3 speed wasn't known for reliability or strength. Did it ever even get offered in a 4x4 version?

A couple of guys over on CK5 have done this swap. One guy, tRUSTyK5, did it and had some difficulties. He did it the junkyard and parts swapping way and found that some parts and components weren't as "bolt in" as others say they are. He had a big long thread about it around a year ago over on www.ColoradoK5.com in the garage forum.

AJMBLAZER

There was also a 3 speed OD trans in some 80's 2wd trucks. The MOPAR A833 if I have the number right. Didn't have a great reputation for strength but it survived in 2wd half tons that weren't expected to tow or haul much.

86M10086.2L

well, that was the one I was looking at, My friends father had one in a 84 C20 with the 6.2L he towed horse trailers and the like with it for well over 400K the only reasons they got rid of it, was because it rotted out on them and the suspension was shot therefore not worth rebuilding. I talked to a gentleman briefly that said he had one in a 84 or 85 4WD 6.2L truck he said it did well by him. Anyhoo not to steal the thread, but I was planning on going with the sm465 and a gear vendors unit that way I'd still have overdrive, but also the granny gear for pulling or for off road. I just thought that if this guy got a line on a way to do the NV4500 for about what its gonna cost to do what I was planning, then I would go that route. Yes, the GV unit is expensive, but if you go with a SM465/ A833 setup its far more bolt in, and would look original if the military ordered manual CUCV's with of course the exception of the overdrive unit and it's controls.

AJMBLAZER

The A833 doesn't have a low 1st though.

Come to think of it the guy who did the swap in "4-Wheel & Off-Road" on his CUCV is a member here. I won't post his name but if someone wants it I'll give it to them in a PM.

BigBlackTurd

Thanks for all the responses! I had called a local salvage yard and they had come up with an NV4500 for $1050 and a 6.5 bellhousing for $200. But they couldn't gaurantee the condition of either. I contacted a company called Gear Tech out of Mississippi, and they have a complete setup ready to ship which includes a brand new NV4500, bellhousing, slave cylinder, clutch assembly, cross member, and adapter for the np208 transfer case for $2850 which was much cheaper for new parts than what I was expecting. According to him, all I would need to make this work would be a flywheel, master cylinder, hydraulic hose from master to slave, and pedal assembly. After finding the kit at this price, I believe, in my opinion, the extra money is well worth having the new transmission over one having possibly hundreds of thousands of miles on it. To order this kit is not in my budget at this time, however I think it is something I will do in the near future. I prefer a 5 speed over an automatic any day. I drive a company truck which is a Dodge Cummins 1ton utility truck that has the same transmission and it's definitely a tough transmission. I'll keep you guys posted when the project progresses. Thanks again!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had the NV4500 out of my 93 Pickup for a freshing up. Bearing freeplay was out a little. 180,000 miles and it looked great inside. Be sure to use a Synthetic gear oil, with the limited slip additive. The Syncro's are fiber lined, not brass, and will make noise about 20,000 miles if regular gear oil is used.

They have a true granny first gear(some years are a little steeper first gear) 3 regular gears, and a overdrive. The reverse is non-syncro on GM's, and synco'ed on Dodge's. You can covert a GM to syncro reverse.

good sized transmisson, and cast iron.

86M10086.2L

Yeah, I briefly spoke to him once, he was on here when a few of us were discussing winch installations. His truck has a really nice under the bumper setup. I asked him what difference in drivability the NV4500 made, but he never responded. Nor did the magazine or website post any results in reguards. One way or another I will be getting some sort of overdrive. for the sole purpose of getting a few more highway mph. anything else is just an added bonus. I never got a quote from gear tech for just the tranny and bell housing. Mine was for everything, your price is a little better. but its still gonna run you a few dollars for the left overs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks