• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NW Indiana noob check-in.

HoosierDaddy

Hello all ,

Signing in from the Valpo area.
I've been without a 4x4 (truck) for about a year and a half now , and am slowly going insane. I'm not ready to plop down a huge amount of coin for a newer truck yet and had been kicking around the idea of a cheap beater for awhile now.
Then , what do ya know , my buddy from 3rivers,Mi buys a M1008 , I get to drive it and fall in love with it in about 1/10th of a mile. Right away , I know I'd feel better buying an old , low mileage , cucv than a newer civilian truck that has most likely been ragged out and not maintained due to $$$ or lack thereof.

I did 4 yrs in the USMC , we didn't baby our vehicles , but our maintenance budget was essentially unlimited , so I know a lot of these , though not driven a lot, but driven hard when they were, have been pampered in the service bays.

So here I am , learning about CUCV's.
I'll probably end up with a 1009 , but definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a M1008 either.
Intended usage will most likely be a run-a-bout on weekends , and light haul/tow for stuff around the house. I like to do my own yard work / landscaping etc , which is tough to do from the trunk of a 2001 Sentra. LOL.
It will also serve as a substitute for my 69 Bronco while I am trying to restore that , so I see camping trips with the kid in the CUCv in my future. I also need it to haul the Bronco parts around as I get them redone.
Which brings me to the other forum I am active in . I'm HoosierDaddy there also :http://classicbroncos.com/forums/index.php

So ,glad to meet all of you. This seems to be a pretty good site .
Lastly , if there are any decent CUCV's in the area/region that am not finding on the interwebtube thing , lemme know please.
Thanks,
HD

eagle4g63

Hi from over by Merrillville............my daughter lives in Valpo. I don't have a cucv, but love my deuce..........if you are into the mil stuff AND camping.........you HAVE to try to make the Haspin rally trip coming up in June. Me and a couple others will be convoying down there from up north here and you are welcome to follow along.

HoosierDaddy

Hey , Thanks for the reply.

Nice , I drove a deuce for a short time when we were at White Sands testing some stuff. Very cool experience, manual and turbo!

My heart lies with the 5-tons though , thats what we had for our gear and I drove the heck out of those. Incredible trucks ... might have to dig out the ol' photo albums , I know I have some shots from off-roading out in the Yuma dunes while going through our 5-ton training/licensing course.

Haven't been to Haspin ( i think my brother lives near there , Connersville) , or Red Bird for that matter. Been to Attica a few times. Do they even allow the big trucks at Red Bird or Badlands?

ducer

Hi HD,
My name is Denny I'm from Ober indiana, just east of Knox down good old US30. Welcome to the insane asylum. I just got my first fmv a 1971 AM General m35a2 w/w deuce in august. Might want to check one out before making a final decision. I don't know if it is more fun working on or driving them. aua Good luck lots of good help and nice people. You will learn a lot just reading through the different threads. If you don't want to get yelled at and you need help search threads first and read the TM's before you ask any questions.

Welcome to the asylum,:cookoo:
Denny:drool:

eagle4g63

From what I was told, they do not let the big trucks out at badlands.......I use to go there a lot with my quad........check out Haspins web site.....nice place.

Plus on here there are a bunch of threads on past Haspin trips that you can see hundreds of photos of the fun.

Also we love pictures around here so if you find any of your past military shot........by all means post them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks