• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ny Approach, this is Shuttle Enterprise.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a T-38 Talon is flying interference for the big birds.

In a way, it's amazing to see it. In a way, you have to fume over the fact that we no longer have a manned space program, and this is kinda the government's way of rubbing it in our faces. Political rant off.

I saw Enterprise in the museum at Dulles, reached up and was able to touch it. I know Enterprise never went to space, but it's still like touching and connecting with a piece of American history. Cold chills and all...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a sight to see!

Thanks for posting the pics!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched the whole thing on Fox News yesterday while it happened. Pretty freakin awesome. Leonard Nimoy was there waiting for it at the airport.

I saw Enterprise at the museum but you won't be able to get close to it on the Intrepid. They are putting it inside an air supported structure and it will be ten feet off above the flight deck.

:-(

I have seen two shuttle launches, both night launches and both were Atlantis. I don't believe if I lived to 100 I would ever see something as spectacular as a night launch.

When I still worked at WPAFB I saw the 747 fly over with one of the shuttles. Our farm is actually a little north of the approach to WPAFB and I see the VC-25As fly in every once in a while.

We still have a manned space program MD, we just don't have a manned launch vehicle right now.

Thanks for the pics Lex and you were pretty fortunate to get to see its last "flight".

hunderliggur

I saw the first drop test of the Enterprise out at Edwards AFB. Never got to see a launch though. Got close in 2010 but it was scrubbed more than once while I was down there.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were the VC-25As 28000 or 29000?
Or only other VIPs?

The only one I've ever seen was The President's aircraft or at least the one painted up that way. Could have been him or the backup. It isn't like they keep me in the loop. It's something to be standing out back and see it in the pattern (straight in approach) though.

;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few launches in person, living here in FL but I'll ba darned if I'm not a day late and a dollar short. I just got home this afternoon. Flew into LGA on Thursday late night and spent all day Saturday in Brooklyn. My timing was oh, so close! Why didn't I go to Brooklyn on Friday.

SteveKuhn

From Just North of the GWB

While we were setting up for the Sussex show, my friend Peter went to the convent just north of the George Washington Bridge and shot these from the Hudson River Palisades just setting up for the turn at the Tappan Zee Bridge. He was upset that the 1st (2) weren't as sharp because of the turbulence but the last (2) made up for it - at least I think so.

Steve

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They went that far north? I was just over the Tappan Zee in Nanuet. Dang, double miss!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks