• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY Deuce Owners & NYS Inspections

Yohan

My Deuce is registered HISTORICAL in NY.

Registered weight is 26,000 lbs (Max weight for regulary old class D license in NY). I registered it at that because it didn't cost a penny more to do so with historical plates. The DMV lady was surprised as well (big surprise).

Any other New Yorkers on here care to tell me where they get their NYS Inspections for their Deuce? I don't know if I will need to lower my gross vehicle weight or not to have a regular service station inspect itVs. a commercial truck srvc. center.

My mechanic doesn't know anything about the Deuce and wouldn't inspect it for me. Thanks for any help!

John

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
18001 lbs is the cut off line for regular inspection , or heavy truck inspection. When they scan your registration sticker(with 26000 GVW) with the NYS inspection computer, it will tell the technician that you need the heavy truck inspection. Your better off changing your weight to 18000 lbs.

If you have it registered for 18000, your mechanic can do the inspection. If he "doesn't know anything about it", he needs to call the regional inspection line and ask them how to proceed. If it is plated and used as historic, it should pass inspection(regular auto, not heavy truck) as is, with no need for alterations, as long as everything works as it was built., Again, ask your mechanic to call and ask, if he doesn't know this.

Last edited:

Yohan

Thank you, doghead. I read one of your posts in my search, but I don't think you mentioned historic plates in it, just commercial if I recall correctly. I wasn't sure if the HX plate made any difference in the NYS Inspection or not. It has been a long time since I did any V&T out there. One of the guys I work with was thinking along the same lines you write about here.

Thanks very much for the help!

John

rlwm211

I registered mine for 17900 and have it inspected at my regular inspection station. I would offer that if you use yours for hauling and are conceivably doing anything commercial you need to go another route than Historical.

The rules in NYS are 'guidelines' which means they are such for us and also for law enforcement. Suffice it to say, if a LEO can say you are engaging in commercial activity or simply using your truck as a cargo carrier, you will be in a Heap 'O Trouble.

RL

Yohan

Thank you, rlwm211. Is yours registered commercial or historical? I have no intention of hauling anything or using it for commercial kinds of things, so the HX plate suits my purpose pefectly. I am a LEO (don't hold it against me; I'm one of the good guys) and could get away with things most folks probably couldn't, but I don't want to do that, either. It has been six years since I've done any V&T, so I'm a little rusty in that respect. But give me a child rape/molestation case and I'm up to speed (unfortunately). Thanks again for the kind help!

I registered mine for 17900 and have it inspected at my regular inspection station. I would offer that if you use yours for hauling and are conceivably doing anything commercial you need to go another route than Historical.

The rules in NYS are 'guidelines' which means they are such for us and also for law enforcement. Suffice it to say, if a LEO can say you are engaging in commercial activity or simply using your truck as a cargo carrier, you will be in a Heap 'O Trouble.

RL

rlwm211

Mine is historical....I have an S280 shelter and figured that 4900 pounds on top of the empty weight would be enough. (13000 for the deuce plus) I wonder sometimes though....

No problem on the LEO...I have several friends who are as well, and I am very grateful for what you do.

RL

Last edited:

jatonka

Yeah Yohan, we need law enforcement, as long as you remember you work for the people, not the goverment. Go with 17990 if you can, makes life simpler. JT Out

Yohan

Hi John,

If you knew me better, you'd know those words have crossed my lips many a time. I'm a servant and I'm honored to be one. My oath was to uphold FIRST the Constitution of these United States. I've refused to make arrestes I knew were unconstitutional and I'm still here! I'm certainly not part of the ever emerging police state... Sorry, I'm gettin off topic...

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll lower my GVW when I renew my reg this year.

Yeah Yohan, we need law enforcement, as long as you remember you work for the people, not the goverment. Go with 17990 if you can, makes life simpler. JT Out

Seth_O

I am jealous of your 'commercial' definition. In sunny CA a vehicle is defined by it's weight capacity, not the useage model. So my bobbed deuce (which came in ~9400lbs) is considered a 'commercial' vehicle even though it sees only private use and I will never make a penny on it.

Sure do spend a lot of pennies on it though :roll:

rlwm211

The difference I see in CA is that you are not allowed to use a HISTORICAL
designation for your truck which would denote a non-commercial,
therefore non load hauling use.

It would be helpful if there were a national definition of this,
but I would prefer that we not get the Federal Govt any bigger
or more important than it is.

...oops getting political again....shame on me....

RL

dburd72

I live in orange county i also have my m35a2 registred Historical at 18000 lbs had dealership i used work at do the inspection as long as all installed lights, wipers.horn and seat belt if installed work it should pass .never had any problems with police troppers etc. but i dont push the limits either

Seth_O

Ultimately I did register mine as historic (DMV told me though that there was a 10k lb limit for historic vehicles?) I just got the plates, so we'll see how it goes. With the amount of attention I get from driving it, and my historical vehicle club (of one) anywhere I am taking it is a club activity.

Had I elected to register it as a regular vehicle it would have been ~$600/yr to register. NFW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks