• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY Inpection

frankthetank15

Well it is almost time to get my deuce on the road, hopefully by the end of the month. I just have a few questions in regards to the inspection. I plan to go with historical plates and register the truck at 17,999lbs GVWR so I can get it inspected at any shop. I am curious as to what the inspectors tend to look for. It is a 1968 so I don't think I need a back up light (I believe that 1969 and up need them). Did you guys have to add anything special to make your trucks compliant (license plate lights, etc,)?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may depend on where you go.

The fact is, it should pass if everything is working as it was manufactured.

If they tell you otherwise, either go to a different shop or ask them to call their regional supervisor(NYS inspection) and explain your vehicle to him.

kcollum

I have mine registered at 18,500 and run commercial plates, so it is subject to emission testing. It passes well within limits. As Jeepstinker has stated the only thing I had to add was a light for the plate. That is an easy fix from either Erik's or Those Military Guys both have light kits. This year I am going to switch to Historical plates to save the inspection problem of finding a heavy inspection shop. Good luck with your truck.

Ken

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Procedures vary a lot. A lot of inspectors cut corners. My inspector asks if I want a std or Heavy truck inspection. I get the latter. I make it clear I'll be happy, and embarrassed, if he finds something wrong. Years ago he asked for a backup light, licence plate light and triple cluster frt and back. The back up is a single 24 rubber housing utility light (Napa) tied in to a blackout light's wire (5 ton, partially hidden in picture) and some old recycled car thing (deuce). Handy for hooking trailers at night. The rear triple clusters are Grote strips, bottom of frame rail (deuce) and bottom of box (5 ton). I'm glad they are there and they look like they belong. The amber frt is removable fab'd thing. It has a thumb clamp, mounts on the bar(s) between the open windshield(s). It is used for both trucks and gets removed after the sticker goes on the bumper. Old military trucks can be hard to see at night, especially in the fog... Better markers can help avoid intimate encounters.

Attachments

frankthetank15

I did not even think about a license plate light so thanks! I have a backup alarm on my truck as my truck was an old mine vehicle so it was subject to MSAW and OSHA regulations so if I need to add a back up light ill wire it to the alarm. I need to replace the windshields but I realized that it did not come with tempered glass. Do I have to replace them with tempered for insurance and inspection purposes?

Kaiser67M715

its best to get tempered anyways. I've personally had a non tempered windsheild(Old VW bus) break in my face going 50 down the highway. small pebble got kicked up. NOT fun, got a bunch of scratches

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tempered safety glass is NOT used in windshields.

Laminated safety glass is used in windshields.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH is right.

Also if youre going to get it made locally you'll have to get safety glass. Local glass shops can't cut tempered glass, it will just shatter if you try to cut it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks