• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY Potential HMMWV Buyer

slmanella

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle and have spoke to several sellers in NY, NJ and other states.
I'm wondering if there are any other NY owners here that have registered a Humvee for on-road use,

thx,

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Search will pull up a long list of threads. It is a very heated debate and honestly it is a big headache. I really had a lot of interest in the HMMWV but I wanted it for on road use and it turns out to be not so straight forward. Many on road titles have been revoked from many states. Patience is probably going to be your best friend right now. If you have the itch go ahead and purchase one but remember there is a huge chance you wont be able drive it on road legally for now but maybe in the future that could change.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short answer - varies by state.

Even more than that, it varies by who you get behind the DMV counter within the state.

Interpretations of the HHA vary. What you see here doesn't necessarily reflect the interpretation that DLA and GP have on their websites.

Only two opinions really matter - the DMV clerk who will or will not give you plates, and law enforcement.

comike27

I have a M998 hmmwv registered in ny for road use I bought it from a dealer in nj off craigslist with a on road title . I had the right clerk at the dmv since am general wasnt in there list of manufacturers and there wasnt a weight on the title but i still got it registered . A guy at work has two of them and he got both of his registered also but he had a hard time and he had titles also but he did get them registered just dont buy one without a on road title . The dealer i bought mine from i think still has 16 of them still . There is a dealer alot closer to me with four of them and no titles and cant get them registered.

M1097R1Rak

Any HMMWV mechanics in NY? I bought a HMMWV M1097R1, but it drives slowly (10mph). Wanted to see what could be the problem. Anyone can take a look at it or give some advice.
Thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any HMMWV mechanics in NY? I bought a HMMWV M1097R1, but it drives slowly (10mph). Wanted to see what could be the problem. Anyone can take a look at it or give some advice.
Thank you
Welcome to the SS forums, this thread is several years old, you should start a new thread.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you
Hear is your advice;
Your 10mph is built in for your safety. You have to get over the "WOW" factor before it will allow you drive any faster.

M1097R1Rak

Hear is your advice;
Your 10mph is built in for your safety. You have to get over the "WOW" factor before it will allow you drive any faster.
Thank you. As long as there is nothing wrong with it. I am not sure why it is not going any faster. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Also, there is some smell when I drove it - Maybe something leaking? Should I change the fluids?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. As long as there is nothing wrong with it. I am not sure why it is not going any faster. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Also, there is some smell when I drove it - Maybe something leaking? Should I change the fluids?
Smells when you drive it? Maybe the PO used it for a toilet smell? Or is it more of a Fuel smell?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks