• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

O-11B Crash Rescue Truck

Avn-Tech

Group,

Here are some photos of My 1958, O-11B Crash Rescue Truck. It was built in 1958, by American La France.

I currently have the heads off to fix a fire slotted block and rebuild the heads. Eventually I hope to completely restor this truck.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a rarity there. Back in the 70's when these were surplussed, the scrappers couldn't cut these up fast enough . . .

Avn-Tech

Group,

I have found several O-11A Crash rescue trucks (two top turrets), but this is the only O-11B, I have been able to locate. Mcdill AFB has a fire truck museum and they contacted me trying to get this truck for their musuem. But could never come up with an offer.

The truck was sold surplus to a scrap dealer in Illinois, Then purchased by Mojave Airport (CA, by Edwards AFB), They rebuilt the truck and used it for several years. When they surplused it, it went to California City Airport. after sitting around for about 10 years not being used. They decided to sell it at auction. I went to the auction and thought about buying it, but put a limit of $100.

The auction started at $75.00, I bid $100, the other bidder bid $125. I stopped bidding and the mayor looked at me and asked if I was all through. I asked the mayor, if the City would hassle me if I bought it and he said no. I bid $150 and the other bidder dropped out.

I spent three days at the city yard trying to get the engine started. I finally got it started, but it had a blown head gasket. So I finally caved in and had it towed ($300). After that the truck sat until about 6 months ago, whrn the heads were removed to fix the head gasket. Then I learned the block is fire sloted. I have a cast iron welder, and plan on welding the block myself. Also while the heads are off, I plan on having them rebuilt.

The basic truck is complete, with the pump engine/Pump, and pressure discharge system are intact. I also have parts of the 1 1/2 inch reels in the side panels. But all the other stuff inside of the compartments is missing.

So far I have only located manuals for the O-10A. They are of some help, but are quite different form the O-11B.

Over the five years I have owned this truck, I have about $1000 in it (purchase, fix starter, and towing). One day hope th have it fixed and running, I just have lots of other projects that also need done ( 11 aircraft to rebuild, fuel truck, ect, ect......).

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech
2 ea, BT-13 projects
2 ea, L-5 projects
2 ea, PT-19 projects
1 ea, Yak-52 (minor repairs to fly)
1 ea, F-5F, crash recovery
1 ea, Fouga (Static display)
1 ea, 1/2 sacale F4U (War Aircraft Replica)
1 ea, aircraft refueling truck, 4000 gal (1960's)
6 ea, P-40 Movie Replicas (non Flying, full scale)
1 ea, 1969 Firebird Conv project (my first car)
1 ea, 1938 Olds 4 dr (sucide doors, project)

Avn-Tech

Shultz,

You are absolutely correct. I was typing a reply when you were typing your question.

I have 6 ea, P-40 movie props, full scale, non flying. I also have 3 ea, P-40's in various assembled condition. Please see link, I will be posting shortly.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

vtdeucedriver

Shultz,

You are absolutely correct. I was typing a reply when you were typing your question.

I have 6 ea, P-40 movie props, full scale, non flying. I also have 3 ea, P-40's in various assembled condition. Please see link, I will be posting shortly.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Aww, you have not posted the link yet.

Nice group of projects. Over here on the east in my family we have a few ourselves.

N3N-3 (Flying), but currently recovering the rudder and rt lower aileron)
BT-13 (Flying)
Cherokee 180 (Flying)
7AC Champ (Flying)
H18 (Flying)
C-45 Trigear (project)
C-45 Project
D17 S Project

Post some pics of the BT-13............................My uncle at one time had 13 of them in various forms of projects. Back in the 80's he sold them all and he is now down to one.

Attachments

KI4GSN

I'm glad to see that people still care about old fire trucks enough to restore them. I've tried to get a 1954 Ford/WardLafrance and a 1946 Ford/Seagrave, but one went for more than I could afford and the other the guy wanted WAY too much for what it was. One day. Again, thank you for caring.

Sidi

Can you supply the Air Force "L" number that would have been assigned to the truck? It probably began as 57L-????.
There are still examples of this truck around.