• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oA little ferret story

Ferretboy

About 1989 i found a canadian ferret....54-82589....after some research i found out canada bought 124 ferrets....all 1954s....years later i found out that c.a.r.number589 went to Egypt in the 1950s...and later to Cyprus Greece in the 1960s all part of un peace keeping missions....very few ferrets in Canadian service went to both places.after that most if not all went to west Germany for Nato exercises.....so the little girl has traveled a bit....knowing that has got me to get back in restoration again....so im going for a 1960s era....too many changes over the years....hard to go back perfect....but she'll be close....thanks for reading this little story.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an education museum piece, just beautiful. Locking the story down in writing is important.
Do you have any videos of it running?

I was looking through pictures and came close to your numbers but haven't found them yet. Here are a few historical pictures thanks to A.S. D.C. and D.M over at CMV.

94155490_2279806835455087_3284654300646604800_o.jpg94572134_2279806812121756_9063749688968085504_o.jpgAntSteCmvdmferret.jpgdccmvdmferret.jpgferretcmvdm.jpg

Ferretboy

Hey thanks m1010plowboy for the old photos....i have collected all i can find but have never ran across those....cool.....and i have never found any of ferret 589....but in most photos you cant see the car number....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're welcome. I get to hear the Rolls Royce once in a while so I'm kinda fond of them. Quiet on the outside, noisy on the inside.
It almost looks like 591 is on the right and for certain 590 is on the left so 589 can't be far behind. The fellas over at
this private site provide the education material with gracious permission. There's a process to sign up so we'll figure that out if you're interested.

dccmvdmferret.jpg

Many of the images don't have the information behind them but there's a chance that these Ferrets are being loaded for Cyprus. T.P.

100338969_2747853238674692_4389933923472244736_n.jpg

.....and these well dressed folks are getting ready for a parade.

deuce and ferret.jpg

Ferretboy

In october i started disassemby to remove the power pack so to get at and replace the fluid coupling seal...after about 40 some years it was a bit tired and leaking bad....lots of cleaning and painting....in the last few weeks I've been cranking it up and checking for leaks...all looks good....now getting ready to put the engine deck and rear armour back on....more photos are in my fluid coupling post....

Ferretboy

Hello m1010 plowboy....love the photo with 590 on the left....a photo from the 1970s...my guess....m-series side lights....canadian flag decals and licence plates....590 i believe is owned by Ontario Regiment Museum.....was sold in 1980...last with the Royal Canadian Dragoons....very interesting....Thank you.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello m1010 plowboy....love the photo with 590 on the left....a photo from the 1970s...my guess....m-series side lights....canadian flag decals and licence plates....590 i believe is owned by Ontario Regiment Museum.....was sold in 1980...last with the Royal Canadian Dragoons....very interesting....Thank you.
Well how about that. The Alberta Dragoons are one of the groups that hang around our G749 farm playing with deuces.

Do you have any pictures of your build process?

One of the finest gentlemen I know....I hope he reads this.....has one of the straightest Ferrets in our MV gang and the finish product doesn't come easy. There's a lot of tin to bang to get the Ferret straight and yours looks so good. A bit of before and after to show how many buckets are on these things.

Attachments

Ferretboy

Hello m1010 plowboy....great photos......thank you....the previous owner of 589 did the fenders and stowage bins...when i got it the interior was bare....over the years i collected as much i could to fill it back up...the only restoration photos i have are of the powerpack and engine bay work....still looking for some important things to complete things....mainly a no. 7 or no. 8 browning m.g. cradle...im reproducing the 10 rubber pads that line the roof opening....

Ferretboy

Well when i got 589 the previous owner had added a turret....removed and sold or lost important bits...but i did get a c-42 radio set....not installed....missing radio tray....found one later....the 10 rubber pads were gone....the jerry can rack on the rear armour gone....made a new one from photos....and a few other bits....i found a set of sand channels....not many canadian ferrets had them but i have photos of a few that did...589 was disposed of in 1981 from Valcartier last used by 12RBC....it also still contained some tools that were stamped with other car numbers...loaned i guess...ha ha...after findind some history about its past....i had to remove the turret and bring it back to a M.K.1...
So thats the goal.....not an easy task working alone....wish me luck.....thanks everyone for the kind words.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks