• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OA331 cranks slow

Crazyguyla

I've finally have made it back down to my parent's house to work on my Deuce. It's been about 4 years since she last ran and now she doesn't want to turn over. Here's what I've done/ have. Before someone says "because it's cold", It was turning over slow before the bottom fell out the thermometer.

I've pulled all the spark plugs, still cranked slow..
Ran the starter with no load, spins up fast.
Cleaned all connections, grounds
Both batteries are 550 CCA Walmart specials.
Tried turning the engine over by putting pressure on the generator belts and turning the fan, It only moves a little in either direction and stops.
I have poured a mixture of PB Blaster and ATF into each cylinder to lube/release any sticking rings. It's been soaking for about 8 hrs now.

I feel the batteries may not be up to the task, but should at least spin the engine decently without spark plugs.

Any suggestions I should try to free this stubborn engine?

Marcus

P.S. Pictures will be forthcoming

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've finally have made it back down to my parent's house to work on my Deuce. It's been about 4 years since she last ran and now she doesn't want to turn over. Here's what I've done/ have. Before someone says "because it's cold", It was turning over slow before the bottom fell out the thermometer.

I've pulled all the spark plugs, still cranked slow..
Ran the starter with no load, spins up fast.
Cleaned all connections, grounds
Both batteries are 550 CCA Walmart specials.
Tried turning the engine over by putting pressure on the generator belts and turning the fan, It only moves a little in either direction and stops.
I have poured a mixture of PB Blaster and ATF into each cylinder to lube/release any sticking rings. It's been soaking for about 8 hrs now.

I feel the batteries may not be up to the task, but should at least spin the engine decently without spark plugs.

Any suggestions I should try to free this stubborn engine?

Marcus

P.S. Pictures will be forthcoming
Even in warm weather those batteries are not up to the job.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On your way to florida how about stopping by in ga and I’ll give you a running 0a331 for a spare engine.

Crazyguyla

If I put the two 550 CCA batteries in parallel and used a third battery with something over 800 CCA to make 24v, then that should be enough juice to spin this cold engine over?

rustystud

Another thing to consider is the starter itself. Old style starters use permanent magnets and they have a tendency to loose their magnetism over time. This will create a slow turning starter. I had over 12 starters in my shed that I through out this last summer due to the magnets going bad. Most repair shops today have no way to re-energize the magnets properly like they used to in the good ole days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck's gonna need a lot of love to be roadworthy. Is a 61 year old gas powered compressor truck the deuce you've always wanted? You know they have trouble with maintaining 45 mph.

Crazyguyla

Truck's gonna need a lot of love to be roadworthy. Is a 61 year old gas powered compressor truck the deuce you've always wanted? You know they have trouble with maintaining 45 mph.
I have plans for an OD transmission. I'm no longer in a rush to get anywhere anymore.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah, You had me snowed there for a while...........
I had to read it all again thinkin about sparkplugs in a multi-fuel...................
I just moved closer to the heater, maybe that will help me think again.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you pull start it to get it running? Would let you warm up the engine and get oil on all surfaces again to prevent rust. Are all of the starter brush springs pushing down on the brushes as they should, or brushes hanging up in the holders? I have had one hanging brush cause that problem. The worst one to figure out for me was a vintage Massey Harris 55 diesel, a 383 cubic inch 4 cylinder, that would not turn over with any speed. Starter disassembly showed the brushes to be very good, commutator good, no shorts in windings, brush springs good. Still same problem with all connections cleaned. Finally found that two of the good appearing brushes had the molded in wires loose in them! Never saw that before. New brushes and I am on my way.

Crazyguyla

KIMG0105[1].jpgKIMG0106[1].jpgKIMG0107[1].jpgKIMG0108[1].jpgKIMG0109[1].jpgKIMG0110[1].jpg

I pulled the radiator off to try and turn the engine over by hand. Luckily, the socket that fits a VW Bug's rear axle nut, is the same size as the crankshaft nut on the OA331. I figured out why the engine was turning so slow, the truck was in gear. o_O Now it spins freely and dropped both batteries down to 60% after three quick spins.

Looks like the engine needs a serious flush. The antifreeze from the engine was bright green, but the radiator was dark and muddy looking. The bottom bracket of the radiator is looking a little rough, should I see if a shop can fix it or start looking for a replacement. At least the ignition has a strong spark.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have plans for an OD transmission...
If you thought about the Spicer 3053, it won't help you much. With the gasser engine it is not so much a matter of limited rpm but rather the lack of power and torque.

Back in my early Deuce-years I tried that myself: even with the truck empty, it simply won't hold 5th OD, except when going downhill - and down-wind, combined... :smile:

Barrman

No need for Od as posted above. A good running OA331 will out speed the brakes on that truck just fine on flat ground or going down hill. You will be down shifting going up hill no matter which transmission you have. Only 1 gear is different between the direct drive and OD transmission anyway. Unless you want to take it apart, it isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks