• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OA331 fuel pump replacement

panzerbob

i'm once again trying to get my truck home, with no more sucess than usual. The prior owner disconnected the mechanical fuel pump, no problem, it was bad. The electric pump he wired in has WAY to little flow, will run the truck in idle, but has no power. Has anyone replaced this pump with a electric pump, and if so how large should this pump be? I will be putting a mechanical back in it, but NEED a capable electric one to get me home!

JDToumanian

I'd like to find an original style new (old stock?) mechanical fuel pump for my gasser, especially one with the primer handle on top. Any ideas where to find one? I haven't called all the usual suppliers (Memphis, etc.) but was told they don't carry many gasser parts anymore.

If I found an old pump with the primer handle on it in a junkyard, can they be rebuilt?

Jon

Barrman

Fuel Pump Rebuilding Kits - Then And Now Automotive

Give these people a call and they have new modern fuel ready parts for the OA331 pump. I know they have sold at least 2 kits for the stock pump in the last 6 months.

I do not have a source for stock pumps with the primer arm off the top of my head. Look through the advertisors in MV magazine. I know I have seen them in there. Antelope Valley keeps popping into my head as I type this too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also caution you to look at the valve in the fuel line right behind the frame rail behind the left front shock. It could be partially closed.

army_man15

I'd like to find an original style new (old stock?) mechanical fuel pump for my gasser, especially one with the primer handle on top. Any ideas where to find one? I haven't called all the usual suppliers (Memphis, etc.) but was told they don't carry many gasser parts anymore.

If I found an old pump with the primer handle on it in a junkyard, can they be rebuilt?

Jon

I got a NOS mech. pump from Sam Winer's not too long ago for one of my trucks.

JDToumanian

I would also caution you to look at the valve in the fuel line right behind the frame rail behind the left front shock.
Thanks Kenny! ....but my mechanical pump isn't even hooked up, there's a cheezily installed electric pump. Electrics may be better, but I want this truck all original. I (unlike some around here, not mentioning any names :wink:) actually like the old gasser trucks.

I got a NOS mech. pump from Sam Winer's not too long ago for one of my trucks.
Thanks for the tip! Barrman too about the rebuilding kits.... There's a mechanical pump on the block, but it's not the old style.... no primer handle and it doesn't screw together - it's crimped.

Jon

bede63

Jon,
Get rid of that crimped pump and score a used pump or NOS pump. The kits from Then & Now in Weymouth MA work well and are high quality. I rebuilt the original pump on my '57 gasser using this kit and the pump works fine. It was a bit of work to figure out how to rebuild the pump but Then & Now was very helpful (by email) and I did get it done right after a lot of fiddling. If you get to the rebuild point and have questions, feel free to PM me.

And as Kenny pointed out, if you have that little brass valve on the frame just below the fuel pump and want to leave it in place, be sure to check it for air leaks and proper function when you get your pump and lines all hooked up. If there is any suction leakage at that valve or anywhere else on line between the pump and the tank, the pump won't prime and will not pull gas from the tank all the way up to the float bowl. And the manual priming lever won't help either if there is an air leak anywhere.

Good luck!
Charles

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny! ....but my mechanical pump isn't even hooked up, there's a cheezily installed electric pump. Electrics may be better, but I want this truck all original. I (unlike some around here, not mentioning any names :wink:) actually like the old gasser trucks.

Jon
OK Mr Detroit M52, I got the jist of that! I like gassers too......in your yard!

JDToumanian

I like gassers too......in your yard!
I like 'em there too, they're SAFE there! rofl

I got a fuel pump today, N.O.S. with the primer handle on it. It was right in my neighborhood - Antelope Valley Equipment and Truck Parts! It was $100.... A little high maybe? But I don't feel ripped off by any means. I'm excited to be getting that thing running.

Jon

Attachments

JDToumanian

Is this for the V18?
Yeah, it sure is... 'bout time I got that thing running, but I want to do it right. The carburetor needs rebuilding and the intake and exhaust manifolds have no gaskets, they blew/burned out long ago so there are bad vacuum leaks. I have new gaskets, and studs and nuts if needed (hopefully not!). The old fuel pump isn't correct and was disconnected, there's a cheezy electric hanging beside it. The muffler and exhaust were damaged and parts missing... I have N.O.S. parts for that too. The wiring harness has been butchered but I have a new one.

That's pretty much it... I'm gonna revive the old thread when I start working on it... Soon! :-D

Jon

jmoylan69

I know this is an older thread, but i wanted to place this link here in case there are others that will need fuel pumps etc.

Then and Now Automotive, i ordered my fuel pump "KIT" from them, rebuilt my fuel pump and now the gasser is working pretty good.

:):arrow:http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

oh, and they did have the kits that fit the original mechanical fuel pump folks!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks