• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Observations from first time on the road

fpchief

Took the M1097A2 on a road for first time and have an issue with the tires bouncing from time to time and steering wheel doing the shuttering back and forth. Comes and goes and figure it may be due to the tires sitting in one spot for probably a few years. Only other real issue I found was a funky smell when it would get to around 220degrees and fan would cut on, also would get a burning smell and cant really locate the source.

It was rebuilt in 2014 and unless speedo was replaced again, it only has had 1k miles put on it since rebuild.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
2014 NOS paint burning off ? or the rats nest under the intake manifold.

Just need to get a few more miles on the odometer. CAMO

fpchief

Well, checked all tires for being out of round and even did some changing of tires. Just did another road test and things seem worse. Tires seem like they are almost wobbling and steering wheel is shimming back and forth. I know I have a bad tie rod boot, but things seemed pretty tight up front....would ball joints do that?? The wobbling will be there and go away for a bit and then come back. Vids probably wont show much....and yes I had an A-driver with me.

DREDnot

How did you check the tires for out of round?

I would do this...take it to a decent tire shop and have them try to balance the tires. When each one is on the balancer, you can ask to look at the whole wheel/tire assembly as you rotate it by hand on the true plane of the wheel flange. You will see any runout in the tire and/or wheel. Fix that issue first.

When I got my M998 it had the same issue as yours. I swapped out the 95% Goodyear Yermo originals for a set of BFG Bajas that had been balanced on 24 bolt rims...it rode and drove like new.

Then check your wheel/hub bearings, and your ball joints while you have the tire in the air.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Typical characteristics is a separated belt from sitting

There is no balancing that needs to be done or attempted to be done To check anything.

Take your infrared temp gun. Go for a 10mi drive at highway speed. See which one has the highest temp. One if not two are going to have a 40 degree temp difference or more from the others.

Check hub temps as well. This will also tell you which tire has the most movement as well as potential premature failures. Temp guns are your friend. Not like you can hear anything in those roaring and rattling junk boxes

If you are bored you can remove the wheel weights, deflate the tires and let the tire siphon about 1/2 gal of antifreeze into each tire. Then air them back up and drive. Probably won't help but it will isolate any tire that just needed to be balanced vs a separated belt

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks