• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

October is Hurricane Relief MV Recognition Thread

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a couple of what appeared to be privately owned Humvees in local Houston news stories and Facebook posts during the post hurricane flooding and was hoping to see some posts from them. Perhaps there are Humvee owners in the Houston area that are not SS members. Anybody out there with any info on the phantom Humvee owners? I'll see what I can do about getting some info on the two 5 tons used in the Waller county floods.

CMPPhil

Hi Papabear

As my comment in part started this effort to acknowledge MV owners and there efforts to help during the flooding, may I say thank you to all the volunteers who went the extra mile to help. The efforts off all volunteers and the hard work of all the First Responders in these natural disasters has been so important.

Cheers Phil

runk

I took my truck and volunteered with the Rice University Police Department. Did one relatively tame, daytime, only hub deep water, mostly between the rains “rescue”, really more of a retrieval, of some undergrads who went to visit a friend and then couldn’t get back to campus. An Australian TV reporter flagged us down and rode along for a while, that was interesting. Then several transports, to the hospitals or shelters, of flood victims who were being dropped off by the army helicopters landing at the Rice Stadium Parking lot. Then a stressful nighttime, raining like crazy, water as deep as my truck could go and visibly rising, rescue of some Rice foreign grad students living in an 1st floor apartment, near Brays bayou, which was apparently flooded almost to the ceiling. The two officers I was with waded (chest deep !) in the rest of the way to get the students. Next day, I got to go get a truckload of produce for Rice housing and dining. Going over to the produce company there were still a few flooded spots, coming back the water was pretty much down.

Next day was several truckloads of stuff for friends flooded out of the Myerland area, both to an apartment and storage. The truck got really unhappy on the last trip, stalling from fuel starvation. Apparently all the bumping around had stirred up a bunch of muck from the tank and clogged the fuel filters. Got everything cleaned out and changed. Finally, once the water from the flood control dams started to go down, used the truck and one of the trailers to move what could be salvaged from my parents house in west Houston.

All in all, I think the truck enjoyed the chance to relive all it's designed missions !

Got some nice mentions and thanks from Rice, and the truck appeared in some of the reporter's stories and blog posts.

Didn't get a lot of pictures, but here is one I liked -
Helicopters!.jpg

And unloading produce-
produce.jpg

I couple of things I learned -
Put the tarp back on before it starts raining !
Truck needs more lights, low intensity in the bed and cab for people, high intensity outside for dark and stormy nights.
I should have some PFD's in the truck (life jackets) before I do this again.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry I've been sick. I just want to say thanks to all our members who have helped out with the hurricanes.

hurricane_relief1.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I've been sick. I just want to say thanks to all our members who have helped out with the hurricanes.

View attachment 707319
No need to apologize for being ill, Drew. Sorry that we were unaware. Prayers for your FULL recovery, Sir.

Yes, We offer our prayerful THANKS for all who stepped up when the hurricanes came calling.At times when the masses run for cover, the courageous and selfless few charge in and perform untold heroic acts. Thank you!

heavyzee

I had my Hmmwv out during Harvey in houston, and Katy moving poeple around. No pictures... Was a good time, but HMMWV was too small for most areas near us that were flooded over 6 feet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks