• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD iron 1 pc boots dry rot problem

1978davidw

I bought a set of 1 piece boots from OD back in july of last year. I didnt get around to putting them on my truck until october however i noticed after driving the truck this weekend that i had grease all over the inside of the fender. Further inspection revealed that the boots are completely dry rotted and falling apart already. When i cought them they looked to be new and pliable with no cracks. Anyone else have this same problem?

A

A/C Cages

Talk to them, they are an outstanding company and it might have just been a bad batch or something. They stand behind their products.

roady

I heard of that problem not long ago on here. I was right in the middle of doing the front boots and seals and got nervous so I bought a set of the Yellow silicone ones.

Heavysteven,

Them boots look yellow to me. Where they the silicone boots? I just got nervous again....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, most probably Newstar.
I got two pairs of that famous brand, put one on, had to replace them only 6 months later. The other pair went directly into the scrap bin; after 1 year storage they were already showing signs of dryrot!

Self-destructing 1pc rubber boots IS an old problem that still needs to be solved... see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/9728-2-month-old-split-axle-boots-2.html#post90703
or has anyone here seen any lasting longer than say 4 years?

G.

Westech

CPL
I to have found that the New star ones are "pre rotted" I installed silicone ones this time around. I hope that they last.
If you can find true military Surplus ones that might be your best bet.

DieselBob

If it's made in China it needs to stay in China
I would tend to agree but I can't seem to find any manufactured anywhere else. I have 8 months on mine (non zipper Newstar) but only about 200 ~ 250 miles. I would love to find a quality USA made boot.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, most probably Newstar.
I got two pairs of that famous brand, put one on, had to replace them only 6 months later. The other pair went directly into the scrap bin; after 1 year storage they were already showing signs of dryrot!

Self-destructing 1pc rubber boots IS an old problem that still needs to be solved... see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/9728-2-month-old-split-axle-boots-2.html#post90703
or has anyone here seen any lasting longer than say 4 years?

G.
Got 4ea from Memphis for the 757 about 3 years ago and they still look and feel like new. They are the same size as used on the deuce and have the mil P/N molded into the rubber...also marked "TOP" IIRC.
They are the zippered type.

Attachments

Clay James

I got the same ones from them and installed them in December of last year and they are dry rotted already. Funny how the ones on my M109A3 that had sat for what seemed like decades don't have any dry rot:)

jblack6527

I had the same problem on a zippered one I bought. I emailed Mike with some pictures, and he shipped me another one very quickly at no charge. No complaints here.