• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OD transfer case

tobyS

Has anyone thought of using the OD transfer case from a 939 series in an (A3) deuce?

red

Thought about it, but more hassle than you think.

The front output shaft is on the opposite side. So you would need to remove the front axle, pull the knuckles off, pull the differential, spin the housing 180 degrees, then reinstall everything.

The other issue is the rear axle. The upper part of the differential is on the passenger side, on the 5 ton it's the driver side. So the driveshaft going from the transfercase to the middle axle will be angled sideways. assuming the air tanks are not in the way the ujoints will have a short service life.

Can't pull the diffs out of the rear axle, spin the housing, reinstall, and fix the issue. Diffs are center mounted in the rear axles. If you remove the diff and reinstall it backwards it would work for awhile. the differential gears wont last long because you would be driving on the backside of the gears, where they are the weakest.

Easiest way would be to swap in the 5 ton axles, takes care of all the alignment issues. For the cost to do that, it's cheaper/easier to go with a 5 ton.

tobyS

Thanks red

I didn't realize there were so many layout differences. I'm buying an A3 that has a tranny problem and it has me looking at the threads on the drive-train and the quest for safe highway speeds. I'm not that glutton for punishment. I'll just rebuild the tranny for now. Higher speed would work best by ratio change at the differential, I'm concluding. Oh, and a front lockout. Have you ever seen an intermediate axle lockout?

red

Havent seen a lockout for the top loader rockwell axles.

I was planning to do the same thing to my deuce last fall until I crawled underneath a 5 ton (parked next to a deuce) and was able to see the differences first hand.

tobyS

Havent seen a lockout for the top loader rockwell axles.

I was planning to do the same thing to my deuce last fall until I crawled underneath a 5 ton (parked next to a deuce) and was able to see the differences first hand.
Yea, it helps to have them side by side to compare.

I read another thread that a man said he had one Ouverson (just a few minutes ago) on his intermediate axle. It really frees up a 6x6 for turning. I'll be looking for more info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks