• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Brackets on M105A2

Gypsyman

The M105A2 that I purchased was owned by the US Forest Service at some point. The only modification to the trailer is two of the brackets shown below. Does anyone recognize these brackets? Based on the weld quality maybe they were hand built by the USFS to fit something specific?

1967 M105A2 (14).JPG 1967 M105A2 (15).JPG

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does a sledge hammer fit in them? Might be to hold hammer needed to drive in ground rods.

Gypsyman

Wait a minute...

After staring at them this afternoon I had an idea. What about holders for rubber wheel chocks stood on end? I need to buy a few and see if they’ll drop in there. I’ve been meaning to order some for the Deuce anyway.

Guyfang

Staff member
A word of warning. Make sure that the chock block can not come out of the holder while driving, and if it happens, that the chock block will not separate from the trailer/truck. One of my soldiers was driving a 5 ton on the Autobahn when that happened. The chock block bounced all over and then went through the windshield of a car following behind. The driver was killed and the ensuing wreck involved several other cars and injurys.

Gypsyman

Good advice as always Guy. I never leave anything loose. I've seen too many odd items on the side of the road and my first thought is always "what damage could that have done".

My guess on the chock appears to have been correct. The single loop for a tiedown and the triangular shape is what gave me the idea.

IMG_7776.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks