• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd engine behavior

zeisshensoldt

Alright, I took the IP cover off to adjust the fuel screw a tad higher, put it all back together, snugged the cover up, bled it at the filter and at an injector, then took it for a drive. It began displaying random erratic rpm changes during steady cruising (every 10-15 minutes).

It would either jump up in rpms or down for a split second. I made sure the IP cover was tight. My question is, is this a symptom of air being introduced into the IP? i tried re-seating the cover today and it didn't help.

'IP is a 1 year old new stanadyne DB2'

Thanks in advance.

cucvrus

Rule number 1. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You only have 135 HP to deal with.

Turning the fuel up will not make it any faster. It may smoke more but faster I doubt it. Good Luck.

If the truck ran fine why would you take the cover off and mess with it? An injection pump is a precise piece of equipment. I never knew that you went thru the top to make adjustments. I never tried. But I did see guys take the side cover off and turn screws up and down. And they never ran right again. I would try to reverse the adjustment and leave well enough alone. A warranted pump is void of warranty when opened.

zeisshensoldt

If the truck ran fine why would you take the cover off and mess with it?
answered in my original post, although with a typo "lower" instead of "higher". Backed it off due to high egt's.
An injection pump is a precise piece of equipment.
Correct.
I never knew that you went thru the top to make adjustments.
it's one of the two methods.
A warranted pump is void of warranty when opened.
It's out of warranty.

zeisshensoldt

It seems that my original question was fair enough, but don't worry, i wasn't looking for a suitable answer to 'if air intrusion was a possible suspect'.
I got an even better obligatory answer with little relevance, forum daddy has taught me a valuable lesson. 'don't break my wittle twuck' or else forum daddy might have to use his keyboard to help. Thanks again.
:popcorn:rofl

richingalveston

I don't know enough about the internals of the pump but apparently the cover holds something spring loaded down or something from post I have read. I just installed my rebuilt pump but still in process of turbo add so I have not tried to turn mine up. waiting on the build to get done to decide if it is needed.

I have read as much as I can about the IP pump after turbo add and getting the cover on right can be an issue.

also check,sounds like for some reason your warm up solenoid is turning on and off. It does something to the IP pump with a lever at the bottom of the pump.

That's the only items that come to my mind with the pump but I know only what I have read here when it comes to the IP.

seams like air in the system would just cause the motor to stumble real bad and not raise the rpm.

Hope these 2 cents are better than the dime you have already received.

cucvrus

Just keep cranking them pumps. They will build more. I remember you have to slide the pump cover forward or backwards when you are putting it on so the lever on the lid is in the right position. Good Luck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
135hp?
Both mine say 155hp on the air cleaner.
Bone stock each one.

Everything I've read on IP's tells me enough to leave it alone.
I'm not educated enough on them to open it up. That's me

Call a service center for the pump and see IF they will help troubleshoot over the phone.
Tell them exactly what you did and what it's doing now.

If they won't and no one here chimes in with the right info, sounds like it's time for a much bigger job.

It doesn't sound like air getting in but a metering issue.
If it is air then it would be really hard to start the next morning. According to a lot of old threads I've read.

Keep us posted.
Good luck.

Chaski

20160225_210550.jpg
There are two ways to install the cover, the right way and the full throttle un-governored runaway method. Since your engine didn't run away I'd say you installed the cover correctly.

When you adjust the max fuel through the top you have to remove the guide rod out of the back of the pump, then remove the governor spring assembly out of the top. My guess is that you did not get it placed back in position just right, or got some crud in it. Open it back up and take a close look.

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

Update: one of the tension spring band clamps on the ip return line was bad. Replaced both, problem solved. Big thanks go out to those who provided useful information without b*tching and moaning. You are the ones who made this thread useful to future onlookers. Have a good one.

cucvrus

Update: one of the tension spring band clamps on the ip return line was bad. Replaced both, problem solved. Big thanks go out to those who provided useful information without b*tching and moaning. You are the ones who made this thread useful to future onlookers. Have a good one.
Sometimes I just call it like I see it. No moaning here. If I have something that works and runs fine I leave well enough alone. Because when I do mess with it I kick myself in the behind for messing with it. Not the others that just pointed out that simple point. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Surely I would not have come on and said hey I messed with my injection pump and now it don't run right. Peace man. I was only trying to help as were the others. I think it is fair to say that we do set a precedence on proper CUCV care and maintenance. Let us not teach others to do things that have no real benefit. It was all in friendly chat and no more.

zeisshensoldt

I applaud your inglorious attempt at retribution, cry me a river. Furthermore, i don't want your unnecessarily boring explanation and defense of yourself. It's a shame that you get a stick up your ass when someone wants to do something to a vehicle that they bought and or own. You implicated me as presenting improper care or maintenance procedures to the general public? Strange, i read it over, i just don't see it. I didn't tell anyone to do anything, nor' did i suggest it. It's as if you're saying people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves. Nice guy. Welp, It seems you get your pleasure from jerking dudes off due to your personal ideals of what's right or wrong, so have at it, pal. In closing I'll leave you with some advice, get some duct tape and wrap your hands together so you cant use your keyboard, alright dad? thanks. Try to be more friendly.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info on what the problem was and how you fixed it.

I dread the day I have to rebuild mine.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I applaud your inglorious attempt at retribution, cry me a river. Furthermore, i don't want your unnecessarily boring explanation and defense of yourself. It's a shame that you get a stick up your ass when someone wants to do something to a vehicle that they bought and or own. You implicated me as presenting improper care or maintenance procedures to the general public? Strange, i read it over, i just don't see it. I didn't tell anyone to do anything, nor' did i suggest it. It's as if you're saying people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves. Nice guy. Welp, It seems you get your pleasure from jerking dudes off due to your personal ideals of what's right or wrong, so have at it, pal. In closing I'll leave you with some advice, get some duct tape and wrap your hands together so you cant use your keyboard, alright dad? thanks. Try to be more friendly.
You might want to take your own advice and do some reading and research. Almost all your thread end with you getting a attitude with anybody that doesn't tell you what you want to hear.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/search.php?searchid=5036650

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks