• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Freeze Plugs

I was looking over my M817 a couple of days ago and noticed something strange on the engine. There are three different styles of freeze plugs on the heads. Each head has a different style of plug. One head has a typical push in style plug the other two have what looks like screw in style plugs. One head has allen drive and the other square drive. The other two 5-tons that I have all have the same push in style freeze plugs. Does this mean that the engine is a possible rebuild? Or is this something that could have come from Cummins? Any insight would be appreciated.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures would help if possible. Haven't seen what you are describing and I have worked on a 100 5 tons. Maybe they are replacement plugs? Easy to install on the road if you blow one and can get at the plug. My 817 rusted one out betweem the 2nd and 3rd heads. Had to do a whole top end because of that!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They have just been replaced. The Cummins 4bt's have these as a replacement option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks