• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd M1028 bed

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have yall ever seen this bed on a surplus chevy? I've looked all over & cant found another one online. I'm looking at buying this truck. I believe it's a M1028. 6.2 diesel, 4 speed manual w/4.56 gears. The seller says it's all original but I'm starting to think the bed is custom. Any information is greatly appreciated. 20200303_085542.jpg20200303_085558.jpg

Miah

hmm. Perhaps the seller's intention is that just the bed is "all original", not the whole truck? For a second there i thought maybe i was just crazy & had somehow missed out on all the stick-shift CUCVs over the years. :D

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the guy is trying to blow smoke I just think he dosen't know what he has. Hell I don't really know what I'm looking at. That's why I'm asking yall. Am I correct to assume it's a M1028 because of the dual wheels, 4.56 gears, 6.2 diesel & the helper spring in the rear? I'm not really concerned with originality. It's a cool truck & seems to be in good shape.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's not the only one who got that same basic idea on seriously modifying a 1028- here is one I found on the internet and saved pictures of back around 2011.
Very similar approach to the modifications, but not the same bed. And at least this one has mudflaps.

Definitely not original but both are pretty cool anyway. ;)

Cheers

M1028A2 deuce bed 1.JPGM1028A2 deuce bed 3.JPG

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the looks of that one too. I don't usually like dually trucks but the flat bed look is awesome to me. I didn't get a chance to look at the inside so I can't say about the clutch pedal. I'm going to try & go back this weekend & look it over real good & drive it & all that. Back to the transmission question, do all the CUCVs use the turbo 400? Was the 4 speed manual never an option? I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I know what I'm talking about when I go back.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I like the looks of that one too. I don't usually like dually trucks but the flat bed look is awesome to me. I didn't get a chance to look at the inside so I can't say about the clutch pedal. I'm going to try & go back this weekend & look it over real good & drive it & all that. Back to the transmission question, do all the CUCVs use the turbo 400? Was the 4 speed manual never an option? I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I know what I'm talking about when I go back.
They all had the turbo 400 so someone swapped in the 4 speed. With parts from a civilian chevy it could have a linkage for the clutch or the later hydraulic clutch. It’s not hard to make it look factory with the help of a donor truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The V.I.N. will tell you what it started as.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I correct to assume it's a M1028 because of the dual wheels.......
Not necessarily. The military didn't buy any dual rear wheel CUCVs from the factory, all were later conversions from a GM kit provided in a big crate and were usually converted at depot level, but many were done at unit level.

M1028 and M1028A1 were both single rear wheel trucks. M1028A2 and A3 were dual rear wheel trucks.

M1028A2 were converted from M1028A1 and M1031, which had the NP205 transfer case. M1028A3 were converted from M1028, which had the NP208 transfer case.
As an example, my M1028A2 started life as an M1031, and has both its original data plate and the depot conversion data plate on the door frame.

All that as clear as mud? :p

The attached charts from the CUCV manual helps with which trucks came with what stuff.

Cheers

2 Differences.jpg3 Differences A2-A3.jpg

Miah

While it shouldn't scare you off, just keep in mind that any converted parts you need to replace due to age/wear/neglect(it's a 30yo Chevy after all) you'll have to figure out what general age it is before the majority of parts stores can help you. This may have been swapped from a single donor truck, or it may have been cobbled together out of 3-4 of various vintages. You likely won't be able to go anywhere & just say "I need a *insert clutch linkage here* bushing for an 84 Chevy C30"

Is it older mechanical, is it newer hydraulic, did Bubba know to install a diesel drain tube in the back of the block to keep fuel from getting onto the clutch disc & causing premature slippage. etc etc

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the info yall bring to the table. I've had a bunch of old chevys but never a military version & never a diesel. I'm going to look at Saturday so we'll see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks