• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Place for Fuel Leak

OD Heavy Hauler

Got me a M1008 like I wanted and have started to do some fix-ups/repairs for daily life. I noticed a leak from under the truck Wed. Whats leaking is fuel and its coming from a drainhole in tranny inspection cover. On the engine (in front of air cleaner in valley) there is a part that looks wet and the valley looks like it may be wet with fuel. Could this piece be bad and fuel run back and down out of inspection cover? I don't know what this piece is in front of the air cleaner being a CUCV newbie.

91W350

Yes, you have to remove the intake to service it. Also there are bolts that pass through from the crancase breather tube hole in front. Hopefully, you just need the hose. Glen

91W350

I know you said your intake pan had some fuel on it. Be sure to watch that lift pump at the right front of the block. Behind the radiator hose and in front of the right engine mount. I had one that was weeping and the fuel would drip on the front cross member. The fan would then blow it back down the right pan rail and it would drip off of the right rear corner of the block and occasionally out of the drain hole in the flywheel/torque converter cover. Glen

91W350

Intake, that big aluminum spider... The regular fuel lines are about impossible to service with it in place, maybe truly impossible...

ranchhopper

Get a flashlight and watch the injector lines coming out the back of the pump while running where they bolt up mine had a steady drip from out one of the lines. It could also be the seal in the pump where the throttle shaft where it goes through if thats it its time for a pump rebuild. If its only the rubber line coming off the back of the pump you can change that out by taking out the vacuum pump (1 bolt) and replacing it from the back its not hard I have done several that way.

bravo4

WOW, glad i found this old thread! I fired up my 09 this morn and it was pissin diesel in this same spot. just wondering what was the end result?

acmunro

Fuel line

If its only the rubber line coming off the back of the pump you can change that out by taking out the vacuum pump (1 bolt) and replacing it from the back its not hard I have done several that way.
I agree. On my first civi 6.2 that was one of the first maint. items I did. The line was really rotten and leaking. There is a fair amount of room under the intake to access the fuel supply line to the IP. It is 1/4" hose. I use a 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" socket to loosen and tighten the hose clamp. Good luck.

I'm really hoping not to have to pull the IP. From more searching it sounds like throttle shaft seals. I'll get dirty with her tomorrow and check all the lines for obvious failures.

acmunro

I must be lucky but of all my 6.2's I have never had a serious leak from an IP. At least a dozen trucks. Just a few drips from one I remember. I hope it's just your inlet line.

Well I hope so too, but it seems to be matching all the classic symptoms:

1) extremely hard starting if sitting overnight - lots and lots of cranking;
2) glow plug system issues eliminated - they cycle as should and test fine;
3) obvious fuel delivery issue on start up;
4) fuel leaking from what looks like the tranny weep hole (quite a bit), but likely dripping down from block (will have to pull of air cleaner to inspect;
5) once warm, fires right up;
6) no leaks around filter base, cracking the bleeder provides steady stream of fuel; and
7) It's been moderately cold, so temp might be a factor, which leads me to think it's a seal issue.

Hope I'm not in for an IP rebuild. Can't afford it right now, and it's my DD.

Fingers crossed. After reading every IP thread, I still can't find a PN for the throttle shaft seals, anyone have it?

Thanks again.

Barrman

Pull the air filter, dry up the valley with rags and let the thing run until you find where the leak is.

My 1009 always had a wet looking valley, but never a visible leak. Until last fall when it first got cold. Then I would get the puddle you described under the truck. It would warm back up and no more leak. I traced the source to the throttle shaft seals. I lived with it for a year before finally putting in a new pump.

I would suggest you do a new pump as well if it is the throttle shaft seals. Here is why. If the seals have aged enough to leak, the internal pieces have probably done the same. You can replace the seals with the pump in the truck. However, for about 15 more minutes work, you can remove the pump and put a new one back in.

The -34 manual tells you how to pull the intake and swap out pumps. It really is an easy job. Just hard on your back and arms holding yourself up while working. The intake is a dry intake, so no coolant to worry about.