• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd wire issue

Harijan

So far I have been able to find all my answers using searches. This forum is an amazing place. Thank you to all of you who have made it what it is.
I ran into a problem this week.
Background: M1009 – 1985, owned about 3 months. I bought directly from GL out of Nellis. I had it towed to a local diesel mechanic. I also paid him to replace the starter since I don’t live in Vegas, and it was going to cost less to get the starter replaced and fly 1-way than it was to tow the vehicle to Phx. I told the mechanic he needed to put in a 24 volt starter. He didn’t listen.
I made it to Phoenix and the starter even lasted the first 2 months. Now, the starter is blown and I have all the symptoms consistent with the well-documented Pre-Doghead Relay Disease. I rebuilt the starter, did the Doghead relay fix, and started cleaning/lubing the electrical connections starting with the battery cables and working my way to the wire harness.
That is when I came across this issue in the photos. A wire (not sure which one yet) had shorted so badly that the wire itself had severed. I have seen a few shorts in my day, but never mid-wire, they have always been at a connection or a splice.

So my two questions are:
1. What could be wrong to cause a short mid-wire?
2. Can I cut-n-crimp the wire into a new connection, or do I need to pull the whole wire out of the bundle and replace it?

Other symptoms that I think are consistent with Doghead Relay fix:
1. Battery closest to the grill doesn’t hold a charge even though the battery is less than 3 months old.
2. Glow plug indicators on the dash are not functioning properly
3. No matter how long the glow plugs warm, it takes several tries to start.

Attachments

Jersey4x4

Looks like a fuse link. Cut it out and replace it with the same AWG fuse link. I think that is the in from the generator light on the dash. Will have to look at the TM to be sure

So far I have been able to find all my answers using searches. This forum is an amazing place. Thank you to all of you who have made it what it is.
I ran into a problem this week.
Background: M1009 – 1985, owned about 3 months. I bought directly from GL out of Nellis. I had it towed to a local diesel mechanic. I also paid him to replace the starter since I don’t live in Vegas, and it was going to cost less to get the starter replaced and fly 1-way than it was to tow the vehicle to Phx. I told the mechanic he needed to put in a 24 volt starter. He didn’t listen.
I made it to Phoenix and the starter even lasted the first 2 months. Now, the starter is blown and I have all the symptoms consistent with the well-documented Pre-Doghead Relay Disease. I rebuilt the starter, did the Doghead relay fix, and started cleaning/lubing the electrical connections starting with the battery cables and working my way to the wire harness.
That is when I came across this issue in the photos. A wire (not sure which one yet) had shorted so badly that the wire itself had severed. I have seen a few shorts in my day, but never mid-wire, they have always been at a connection or a splice.

So my two questions are:
1. What could be wrong to cause a short mid-wire?
2. Can I cut-n-crimp the wire into a new connection, or do I need to pull the whole wire out of the bundle and replace it?

Other symptoms that I think are consistent with Doghead Relay fix:
1. Battery closest to the grill doesn’t hold a charge even though the battery is less than 3 months old.
2. Glow plug indicators on the dash are not functioning properly
3. No matter how long the glow plugs warm, it takes several tries to start.

Harijan

Beautiful. Thank you for those clear instructions. Going to take care of this tomorrow. Hopefully, I am competent enough to make a go of it.

mistaken1

Please keep in mind that the picture of the relay is showing 12V at the top power post. That is only if you have done a 12V glow plug conversion.

In a stock system that top post will show 24V until there is current flow through the resistor on the firewall to the glow plugs. Then the voltage should drop to something close to 12V but only as long as the glow plugs and the relay are all working correctly. The troubleshooting pages of the TMs show what voltage readings are acceptable.

Search "voltage divider" in the CUCV forum for more details on how the resistor operates in a stock system.

Antennaclimber among others here on this site are manufacturing and selling new glow plug cards. I believe a new card with properly functioning sensors is much better than a manual button.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks