• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oddball Fischer Panda Military Generator DRASH Trailer

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a interesting generator last week. I bought it mostly for the trailer (which has great tires, electric 24v brakes, adjustable height pintle, folding tongue and greaseable bearings) but I would like to try to get the generator running. Looks like the model number is Panda SSTr 40-4 PSC. It is a 40kw unit. I have contacted the manufacturer but haven't received a reply.

So far I have connected it to a slave cable where I am able to get the panel light on and fuel purge on. The batteries are not charged but are wired for 24v. I have no reaction from the screen or buttons. The emergency stop button is pulled out. No wires appear to have been cut or modified.

Has anyone worked on these units before? Have a manual for one? Looks like this unit came from the 112th Special Operations Signal Battalion out of Bragg.

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, tried it in both positions.
Ok, there is a box with small relays and possibly car type fuses with a clear cover on one side. Check those fuses (if installed) and relays.
You may also want to turn the circuit breakers on the front panel on and off several times. I wasn’t able to read the labels for those, but looking at the overall condition of Genset panel, I would say they are internally oxidized.
I am not sure if this unit has a 24VDC Circuit Breaker and / or a fuse
Peter

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@hrbergeron
I did some more digging and the Graphics Controller you got is a Panda GP155
I found a manual which explains the successor System GP170 but I am sure you will get the idea on how this thing works from that document.
The aforementioned relay box with fuses is the ECU and connects to this Graphics / LCD Panel
Hope that helps
Peter

Attachments

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I tried today.

Jumped the starter solenoid to see if the motor would turn over, it did and almost fired. The fuel tank is disconnected (that's the solid box on the back of trailer) and there is no internal day tank like in the 000 or 800 series generators, but it's nice to know the motor isnt seized.

Verified I had good DC voltage to multiple parts of the unit. The batteries are not holding a charge, but with the slave cable connected I have voltage to multiple points, including both sides of fuses, starter, circuit board, both sides of emergency stop button.

There does not appear to be a DC breaker in-line of the batteries. The positive cable runs directly to the starter and branches out in multiple points after that.

On the control board, I have 14vdc to pin 6. I have 0.8v going to the display backlight. My electronics expert friend said that the voltage should be much higher, specifically 3.3vdc for a panel this size. The display backlight and contrast are adjustable, I will toy with them more tomorrow. I had someone else in another forum tell me that the screen itself might be bad.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I tried today.

Jumped the starter solenoid to see if the motor would turn over, it did and almost fired. The fuel tank is disconnected (that's the solid box on the back of trailer) and there is no internal day tank like in the 000 or 800 series generators, but it's nice to know the motor isnt seized.

Verified I had good DC voltage to multiple parts of the unit. The batteries are not holding a charge, but with the slave cable connected I have voltage to multiple points, including both sides of fuses, starter, circuit board, both sides of emergency stop button.

There does not appear to be a DC breaker in-line of the batteries. The positive cable runs directly to the starter and branches out in multiple points after that.

On the control board, I have 14vdc to pin 6. I have 0.8v going to the display backlight. My electronics expert friend said that the voltage should be much higher, specifically 3.3vdc for a panel this size. The display backlight and contrast are adjustable, I will toy with them more tomorrow. I had someone else in another forum tell me that the screen itself might be bad.
lots of corrosion…..
the LCD controller maybe a 12V board
hence only 14V on Pin 6 from main board with relays
pull out RJ45 and check for corrosion
the LCD is a 248 x 128 dot matrix lcd from the 90’s probably NLA

this set maybe a good candidate for conversion to aftermarket $ 150 eBay controller

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called fischer-panda today and left some voicemails with their service department. Maybe they will have a panel. I don't think that GP155 will be compatible. I may try that universal one you linked if fischer-panda can't help. Thanks for the assistance!
@hrbergeron, today is a National Holiday in Germany, Easter Monday.
So, Florida may be closed as well. If FL has to contact HQ in Paderborn then that can take a few days.....

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@hrbergeron, today is a National Holiday in Germany, Easter Monday.
So, Florida may be closed as well. If FL has to contact HQ in Paderborn then that can take a few days.....
Spoke with them today, their service tech will call me tomorrow. They said there is only one service staff member still around that knows how to work on the unit because it is 20 years old.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have received manuals for the generator. Tried to post them in the TM section but apparently I need to check my privilege.

The manual they sent me has a much different control panel but other than that looks nearly identical. They have not replied after I asked for an older version of the manual.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have received manuals for the generator. Tried to post them in the TM section but apparently I need to check my privilege.

The manual they sent me has a much different control panel but other than that looks nearly identical. They have not replied after I asked for an older version of the manual.
There is an Upload Section for anybody to upload any TM's to. Then the Admins here will shuffle the uploads and/or commentary into the correct section.

I posted what you downloaded in that Uploads section (until they move it). Thanks for tracking down the manuals! If you want anything different than this said, don't hesitate to PM me. (Or I will delete what I posted if you prefer to do it yourself)

Link Below:

Poccur

Picked up a interesting generator last week. I bought it mostly for the trailer (which has great tires, electric 24v brakes, adjustable height pintle, folding tongue and greaseable bearings) but I would like to try to get the generator running. Looks like the model number is Panda SSTr 40-4 PSC. It is a 40kw unit. I have contacted the manufacturer but haven't received a reply.

So far I have connected it to a slave cable where I am able to get the panel light on and fuel purge on. The batteries are not charged but are wired for 24v. I have no reaction from the screen or buttons. The emergency stop button is pulled out. No wires appear to have been cut or modified.

Has anyone worked on these units before? Have a manual for one? Looks like this unit came from the 112th Special Operations Signal Battalion out of Bragg.
I had one of those minus the trailer and ECU....
Bought it the week before the derecho weather hit....never did fully fix it but got it running enough with a piece of string and a wood screw, it ran a window hanger air conditioner, the fridge freezer, tv and lights and used heating oil to do it...saved our butts...
PM me your email and I will send what stuff I have, hopefully it helps..
Cheers

Poccur

I had one of those minus the trailer and ECU....
Bought it the week before the derecho weather hit....never did fully fix it but got it running enough with a piece of string and a wood screw, it ran a window hanger air conditioner, the fridge freezer, tv and lights and used heating oil to do it...saved our butts...
PM me your email and I will send what stuff I have, hopefully it helps..
Cheers
'She who must be obeyed' rolled out of bed when the power went out and announced 'I ain't living like this, we need power'.....30 minutes later the Panda was running with a piece of string holding the fuel actuator open and a self tapping screw to secure the string...also use ride-on lawn mower batteries for starting...we invited family and anyone else to bring over frozen goods till there was no more room in the fridge or freezer...felt guilty as folks rode around at night in trucks looking at stuff and we were only lights on for miles in any direction...AC unit humming loudly and it was so hot out....drank the best part of 200gallons of no2 heating oil but the lights stayed on....
No email yet from OP but will send files if they send email addy...
Regards

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks