• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odometer Milage Change

panama

Hey Guys, First of all let me preface this request by saying that I am ABSOLUTELY not soliciting anything illegal. Florida law states: "It is a Felony for anyone to knowingly tamper with, adjust, alter, set back, disconnect, or fail to connect an odometer of a motor vehicle, so as to reflect a lower mileage than the motor vehicle has actually been driven, or to supply any written odometer statement knowing such statement to be false or based on mileage figures reflected by an odometer that has been tampered with or altered". Basically, I purchased a new odometer to replace the old original. It came to me with 000000 miles. I'd like to set it to my correct mileage but do not know how. I tried the drill trick. But, my drill spins @ 55 mph. At this rate it would take 38 days of straight drilling to get to 45K miles! Does anybody know how to set the odometer correctly or a place that does? The local shop wants $200 to do it for me! Imagine that for a $50 speedo! Thanks for the help and pointers - Alex

jimm1009

I did this with mine when my spedo broke.

I put the new one in at 0000 and just make a white on black label in #8 font that said "add 63,709.3 miles" and it has been working for 145,000 miles.
I don't see a problem as parts brake from time to time.

Not to hijack this thread but I have now put 200,000 miles on my M1009 since it's purchase in early 1995. :driver:

jimm1009

gwag

If the odometer you are replacing is broke now your mileage wont be correct anyway. I would keep the broken one to show to a potential buyer if you ever decide to sell it we used to do this with semi-tractors. You don't say what model & year the vehicle is but most states are exempt from a mileage disclosure after a certain number of years anyway.
If you are honest when you resell it it will have to be TMU (true mileage unknown) but most people would appreciate getting the replaced odometer to have an idea of the miles.

panama

Thanks guys. Those are perfectly legitimate ideas. I can also submit the paperwork to the state with the all the necessary information and be 100% as well. I would RATHER set the odometer to the correct mileage and avoid a work-around. It is not my daily driver and hasn't moved sine the speedo was pulled....although I understand what you are saying, Jimm. If the speedo was freaked out to begin with who knows what the actual miles really are. I'd still like to set it to "actual" mileage if anybody could point me in the right direction...

Sgt. Sam

Speedo

I'm happy to live in Idaho. Here the mile reading is NA for any vehicle over 25 years old.So you can replace the speedometer any time you want.

91W350

Kansas titles have a place on them for odometer error, no foul as long as you are not mis-representing the vehicle as xx,xxx miles. They also have a little box to mark past mechanical limits, ie 100,000 miles. It is a felony here as well to roll one back trying to misrepresent the car. A lot of over the road salesmen used to put a second speedometer in under the dash and pull it at trade in. That would have been a felony now as well. I am sure if you check your title or read the law, there is a provision for mechanical repair or exceeding the mechanical limit. Glen

gwag

The shop that wanted $200 would probably provide you with an affidavit making it legal but it would still be TMU however you would have proof it was not tampered with and is not "actual" miles.
I have a 1008 that reads 915 miles that I'm sure is not rolled over based on the condition of it but titled it past mechanical limits. Once an odometer fails it's never actual miles again.
I see vehicles come through the auto auctions all the time that a factory dealership has replaced the odo some have an affidavit, some have a sticker in the door jamb & some have both stating the circumstances of the odumeter change but they are all by law sold TMU.
Not trying to :deadhorse: here but if you are an honest man you can never call it actual mileage again so I would not personally put much effort into setting an odometer to a false reading.

Last edited:

kenny

You could always go down to the trans and unplug the Odometer and put a drimel on it. I beleave that might make it spine at about 900 miles an hour and only take a couple of days.
But I realy like the keep your old one and give it to the new buyer idea better

whizzy

It is fairly straight forward to set the miles on your new speedo to the same as your broken speedo. Just look at the old one and start by seeing how it works. Take it apart and you can experiment with removal and reset. The numbers for the odo all stack together and use gears to make them spin over. The trick is to not take the stack all the way out and be gentle. bright lights and a bench are your friend for this one. The worst case scenario is that you break the old one, no big deal since it is junk anyway. It might be worth while to do a search on the intra web to see if there are specific pointers from folks that have done this on chevy speedos of this vintage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks