• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odometer reading questions

pinbill

Hello-

I have been researching odometer accuracy on this site and had a few questions. I want to have a better idea of the mileage on my truck before I sink a bunch of cash in it. Here is the background, an 85 m1009 purchased in late Dec. from a guy who got it from Utah auction in mid Dec. Mechanically the truck is good, once fired up (working on getting it to start better) the truck runs real good, except for a sticking injector, no blow-by, 11 percent opacity on emissions, shifts very smooth, brakes are real solid, it is fairly solid on the road, but it seems to have more play in the steering wheel than a low low mileage truck. (maybe it got off roaded while in service) Cosmetically it looks like a 25yr old truck. Some rust, rusted through on pass floor board and by tailgate, the driver seat is trashed, and pass and rear seat have very small rips, brake petal has moderate wear, the dash has been replaced and the instrument cluster looks like it has been worked on a bunch.

It has 29000 on six digit odometer. I read here that the six digit odometer is not factory and that it is not likely the original dash cluster. The truck was purchased from a government auction in UT that certifies all mileage as authentic. The seller contacted the auction and they said that the miles are authentic and it would be a federal offence if they misrepresented the mileage. I have a copy of auction sheet with mileage and vin. My questions:

When government auctions certify the mileage is that correct?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the medlog vin check site thread? I could not find it.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Ken_86gt

Sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for. As far as I know they never came with the six digit odometer as you said, so it was probably replaced at some point. When GL sells trucks they mark the mileage exempt on the title, they also state somewhere in the fine print that they are as is with no guarantees- including the mileage on the odometer. In most states the mileage is exempt in any case just due to the age of the truck.

4bogginchevys

The simple answer is: if you personally can do the work to avoid "sinking a bunch of money into the truck" than it is a good option. If you dont have time etc., than sell it and buy another, and if you dont like that one, sell it and buy another. The body work is the worst thing to deal with, the rest is just bolt on. On the other hand, every truck needs a ton of things done to it..... Judging by the lac of high mileage posts in another thread I would say it's probably not too bad.
You could always trade with datsunaholic....:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks