• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OEM Spicer 3053 front bearing retainer with oil seal

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice score! Is that the seal setup from the late model 3053 transmissions that actually had an input shaft seal? I know that a while back, Jeepsinker tried very hard to make a modified part and I think Steve 6x6x6 did as well. I can't remember what came of it. Mine definitely has the tell-tale few drips after a drive.

Last edited:

Welder1

Very nice score! Is that the seal setup from the late model 3053 transmissions that actually had an input shaft seal? I know that a while back, Jeepsinker tried very hard to make a modified part and I think Steve 6x6x6 did as well. I can't remember what came of it. Mine definitely has the tell-tale few drips after a drive.
Steve 6X6X6 made a run of 4 input retainers with a seal. They were fully machined out of a weldment he did and were very nice. I managed to buy one and use it on my truck. He said there was not much interest in them and he has not made any more that I know of. That's sad as these were very well done. Steve does excellent work on all he does.

Eddie Cannon

JasonS

Same casting number as the "standard one." The vendor had no idea that he had one with a seal; it just was the one that I was shipped.

Jeepsinker

That's definitely been modified. A pocket was machined out for the seal and that collar was welded on to provide lateral support for the snout since there is less material in that area inside now.
We always knew it could be done, but the lack of strength after machining the pocket was always the concern.
Yes, I did have one made for my truck machined out of 4130 chromoly. Still working great. Can get more made, but the problem is the price. Nobody wants to pay $350-$400 for one and you can't get enough people to commit to buying them to make a large run which is how you bring the price down. The material cost isn't that bad, it's the setup and machine time that costs the most.

Jeepsinker

I solved the trans input shaft leakage problem by putting in a different bearing. It has double seals and is prepacked with grease, it dosen't need tranny oil for lubricatilon. Its rated for 5300 rpms and up to 120 degrees C (about 250 degrees F) operating temp. Its an NTN bearing #6308LLUNRC3
Keep us updated on how it holds up. There is a lot of lateral pressure on the input bearing, and even the stronger 9 ball bearings do fail. I haven't a clue what your bearing is rated for, but I'm genuinely interested in seeing what kind of longevity you get out of it. Do you put a lot of miles on your truck?

MG2936

Keep us updated on how it holds up. There is a lot of lateral pressure on the input bearing, and even the stronger 9 ball bearings do fail. I haven't a clue what your bearing is rated for, but I'm genuinely interested in seeing what kind of longevity you get out of it. Do you put a lot of miles on your truck?
This bearing has 12 balls and is rated at a Static load of 24000 N and a dynamic load of 40500 N (what ever that means?) I have drove it very little in the last 6 months (250miles) because of my wife's health problems but in the next couple of weeks she is going to have a repair job and then I will put some miles on the truck

Capriceii

I would so love to get one with a seal. Getting ready to drop in a replacement transmission this month. and it is just sitting there on the bench asking for a new front seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks