• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off Roading in Colorado

pvtjorge

Has anyone traveled the Medano Pass Primative Road at Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado to Highway 69 in late September in a two wheel drive truck? I don't want to have to haul my M38 that far from S.E. Texas.
I am traveling to Denver for a veterans reunion and want to do some off road sight seeing on the trip.

mcmullag

4x4

I have done that pass at least twice in a stock 4x4 suv.
If two wheel drive, do you have a locking rear diff and aggressive tires.
Chuck Wells puts out great books on 4x4 ing in CO and UT.
He shows some roads that a two wheel drive could do but
I would not recommend Medano pass in a two wheel drive unless
you have what is mentioned above and high ground clearance . That may get you thru the forest part of the trail but the section of the trail actually in the Great Sand Dunes NP is deep sand
and they advise to air down to 15 psi and in the park is a free place to refill tires. That sand may stop even a good set-up two wheel drive truck, maybe a baja type vw beetle could make it thru the sand section. Also, some trails in the state with no obstacles, still have really steep sections where you need the low range of the transfer case for going up and then going down sections without burning up your brakes. The weather should be good that time of year as that is in the southern part of the state.

pvtjorge

I appreciate that info. My truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra crewcab with 20inch tires and a Stabilitrak system.
I agree, in steep off road terrain one needs a low range transfer case. I just told the wife I'm trading for a 4x4 drive. Ha!, we'll see.
I may just have to stick to paved roads and visit the park and go onto Colorado Springs and drive up Pikes Peak. I plan to spend a couple of days there, on the way to Denver or actually Englewood where the reunion is.

She had a bright idea. Maybe I could find a 4x4 to rent for that excursion.

Last edited:

mcmullag

2x4

Yeah you prolly should stick with the truck you got and save your money and not do that trail.
I just played tour guide for my brother and nieces from Houston this past weekend. We did the Air Force Academy and Garden of the Gods on Sat afternoon and Pikes Peak on Sunday. That's me on the left, up on the Peak.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks