• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2010 SS Ga Rally Info thread

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hey...Wreckerman and I were po when we was little!!! All we had were bean cans and a string to communicate with...not like fellers have it now with cell phones, puters etc...
When I was little we were so poor all I got for Christmas was a pair of blue jeans with the pockets cut out....so I would have something to wear and something to play with.

bkwudzhom

Don't sweat the cabin dude, I get one every year. I like them a bunch. What I would do is hook up with folks coming from the same area, through your area or just some folks close by. GA is a big state and it's anybody's guess as to where you are located. Most of the FL folks have swapped cell numbers and I'm sure quite a few GA folks have done the same. Once you get 3 or 4 numbers you are literally in phone contact with most of the members. Should be plenty of recovery gear around. I will tote a tow bar in the bed and there is always one under the bed. Don't worry, we take care of our own. Now, what cabin did you rent? Myself and JW4x4 (hopefully Mike) stay in Mallards Nest I and your rally host, Clinto, is our neighbor in Mallards Nest II.
I think the wife said we got the Squirrel's Nest. It was the last one according to her. Now wheather or not it was just the last one that only sleeps 3 or not I dont know. Either way I'm glad I hounded her to finally get it!! Kinda cool too that squirrel season starts on the 15th and my son can't wait to go hunting!!

Anyway, we will be leaving from Augusta-on the east central GA border with SC-right on the river. It will be a short trip for me. The wife will be driving her Honda just in case. I dont expect any problems but try to be prepared for the worst. I live about 45 mins south of Augusta and have plenty of room if someone needs to limp/tow one a short distance and store it for a bit.

What route are you taking-- interstate or back roads?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be meeting up with a large contingent of the FL Delegation @ I-75 & the FL Turnpike. We will cruise I-75 into Macon then local roads and highways the rest of the trek. Hoping MDMorgan can join up as we pass through his neighborhood.

Chief_919

I may have missed it, but are vendors OK, and what is the fee? I might load a bunch of goodies up and come out. I just scored a bunch of GI vehicle first aid kits, the ones in the plastic box, and they need good homes.

A self-supporting fun trip is always good :driver:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I may have missed it, but are vendors OK, and what is the fee? I might load a bunch of goodies up and come out. I just scored a bunch of GI vehicle first aid kits, the ones in the plastic box, and they need good homes.

A self-supporting fun trip is always good :driver:
Vendors are certainly ok, in fact, we have a dedicated vendor area this year.

If you have a lot of stuff, you should be in the vendor area. If you are just bringing a few things, you can choose between displaying them in front of your camp area or getting a vendor spot.

Vendor spots are free and unlimited in space (within reason; don't try and take up the entire field!).

REGULATOR

I dont consider myself a vendor,
But I plan on bringing a whole bunch of BDU uniforms, field jackets and assorted Military clothing and accessories to sell

mostly cause I need to clean out my closets!!

I do have some m16 rubber duck / dummy rifles ( A1 style) if anyone is looking for some to make there military vehicle display complete

might bring some m1009 parts as well.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regulator,

Bring em on! I'll let the Vietnam re-enactors know you have the rubber duckies!

Should be a short trip for you. Down I-20 to exit 148, go right about 10 miles on Hwy 20, then left onto Hwy-40 about 3 miles, then right onto Randolph Church Rd and about two miles to the Rally Site.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vendors are certainly ok, in fact, we have a dedicated vendor area this year.

If you have a lot of stuff, you should be in the vendor area. If you are just bringing a few things, you can choose between displaying them in front of your camp area or getting a vendor spot.

Vendor spots are free and unlimited in space (within reason; don't try and take up the entire field!).

Well darn you had to add the "within reason" to your post, I was going to bring all my GP Larges and create a tent city...lol..:0)

We hope to be bringing several styles of tents that will be for sale. We will only set up a few for display and sales area for our other items we have like jeep parts, BDU, Pioneer kits and so on.

If anyone wants to see about purchasing a tent you can check out our ads in the classified section I will bring your tent with me to the rally so you don't have to worry about shipping.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny:
Im learning!

By the way as wreckerman like I said before if yall need tarps for the shower area idea I can bring some for it. Im also looking at trying to use a Frame from an expandable tent to put in a Base-X tent because I have no Base X frames but plenty of other frames. If this will work I can donate a tent at the rally for the shower area just need to use a tarp for the floor and maybe come up with some dividers.

REGULATOR

yeah and if a real vendor wants to just buy all of my crap at once so they can resell I'm down with that too :)

whats a rubber duck m16 a1 worth these days? just trying to offset the cost of the trip with any sale of my old gear...

I'll probably bring a coupel duffles and an alice pack worth of stuff.

REGULATOR

Shoot i just did a quick google /ebay search and saw some from $175-250 for rifles that dont look half as good as mine. Are they worth that much?

I have at least 2, cant remember where the third one is, but they are in great condition, as in not broken or repaired, metal barrels look just like an A1 M16 with the smaller magazine inserted.

anywhoo I'll bring all of them I can find, and they have slings on them too.

Ive had them for almost 10 years, bought them from a DRMo sale on base a long time ago.

crazy, I'm just lookign forward to doing some off roading and checking out all the toys...

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok guys, since Dcwilkie started the Alabama convoy thread I have added the link to it to the 1st post in this thread, as well as adding the link to the 2010 food thread.

If you need another convoy planning thread, please let me know, preferably here. I would assume you Florida guys need to get some planning done and perhaps all you NC/VA guys coming down?

Also, please remember that since these threads are up for so long before the rally that they will get very long (the official rally thread now has 35 pages and we're still 2 months out). I can guarantee that we will have to delete some of the conversational posts that will pop up in these threads. PLEASE do not be offended-it's not that we think you don't have anything to contribute or anything like that, it's just that most people in our ADD society can't sit still long enough to read through 35+ pages of possum jokes in order to find out where they need to meet up with the other guys for a convoy.

REGULATOR

yep feel free to delete my stuff, what I just added more . doh

is there an off roading thread yet?

just want to know what to expect,

is there any required items to bring ( recovery strap, shackles etc)

of course I'm an over planner..

plus I really think I will try to drive my civy truck in addition to my son driving my m1009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep feel free to delete my stuff, what I just added more . doh

plus I really think I will try to drive my civy truck in addition to my son driving my m1009
I doubt that there will be an off road thread. Plan for the worst, expect to have fun. There will be many recovery experts and twice as many armchair recovery experts on scene. I plan on nobody bringing anything therefore I bring everything I think I need. This is a good plan for everyone. At the FL Rally we were 200' short on gear, we had to improvise. I don't think that will happen here. Best idea of what is in store is to review the multimedia threads from years past, they hold alot of info on whats forthcoming. I don't expect to see a shortage of winch trucks. I'll have at least 3 snatch blocks, a 6" strap, 40' of extra cable, a highlift and about 150' of long reach straps. My deuce has a winch but my PTO is being delivered to the rally. I'm planning on installing it Thursday morning. Bring duct tape and tie wire, some of the trails are narrow. Summarily, expect a challenge!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

We don't typically do a thread for the offroading aspect, for a few different reasons. One, you can typically gauge what you're in for by looking at the picture threads of the previous events and two, we try to keep threads for the rally to a minimum. Already for this year's rally we have 4 threads going all at once and there will inevitably be more. Users who are not web or forum savvy bookmark the main thread but miss all the others. I try to keep everything neat and tidy.

Required items? We've never set out any requirements, but I think it's good idea to bring your generic recovery/offroad gear-snatch blocks, straps, d-rings, tree savers, etc.

REGULATOR

well I looked at the pictures, of course its mostly of hill climbs that don't look too tough for a Lifted F250

Narrow has me slightly concerned, not worried about scratching the m1009, but don't want to scratch up the paint too much on the F250

Guess I will figure it out when I get there.

I usually pack a recovery strap, and make sure I have proper shackles front and rear, on my previous trucks,
I haven't off roaded the new f250 that much yet

I'm excited to get out of the house and get off road again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks