• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2010 SS Ga Rally Info thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AWE POOP!!!!!!!!! NOVEMBER?????:mad::mad:

Heck...it's cold enough at night as it is...and CAMO has committments every weekend of November.

Sure hope ya change yer mind!!rofl

I would 2nd that. Camp in a tent and you wouldn't move it. I'm guessing most are camping.:grin:

Well, we may not have a lot of choice. I know Mike wanted us to move the date this year to accommodate the hunters. The weekend we do the rally is (unbeknown to me) the opening weekend of the deer hunting season in Georgia. Since our date had already been set in place for months and a website, ss calendar and threads were already in place, we could not move it.

So when we get out there next week, I have to talk to Mike and see exactly where we stand. If we stay on the "new trails" that are being cut, can we keep our existing weekend date? Or will he still want us to move the event to a different weekend, regardless of the trail access issues? That's unknown at this point.

Because if the weekend we currently do it on is unavailable, I am not moving it up any sooner-just too much risk of a long summer and/or heatwave. Like what we are going through now. I am sick of car shows and events in hot weather.

I don't want to move it one week forward-that's Halloween and I am sure a lot of parents want to be home with their kids for trick or treating.

Which leaves November.

The weather can vary wildly here, as we all know. See the weather report from post #1 in this thread:

The last 6 years weather on this weekend:
2009 temps: 51/80
2008 temps: 46/61
2007 temps: 59/77
2006 temps: 32/59
2005 temps: 48/65
2004 temps: 56/67

I understand the nights would be cooler-but this is pretty much the only MV rally that is done at a time of year where the weather is decent during the day. This has always been an important part of the event's character and something that is paramount in my planning.

I appreciate the concerns of campers and the CAMO crew having a full docket in November, but I have no desire to run a rally where the weather is hot during the day. Since the summers seems to last longer and longer every year and Mike's need to accommodate both us and his sizable hunting business, we may simply be forced to a later date.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Which leaves November.
I understand the nights would be cooler-but this is pretty much the only MV rally that is done at a time of year where the weather is decent during the day. This has always been an important part of the event's character and something that is paramount in my planning.

I appreciate the concerns of campers and the CAMO crew having a full docket in November, but I have no desire to run a rally where the weather is hot during the day. Since the summers seems to last longer and longer every year and Mike's need to accommodate both us and his sizable hunting business, we may simply be forced to a later date.

Understood Sir. I can only hope things can remain the same.:-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have no desire to run a rally where the weather is hot during the day. Since the summers seems to last longer and longer every year
AHHHHH.....Global Warming rears it ugly head again.

I hope we can find a compromise with the folks at Durhamtown....this weekend works good for so many reasons.

And Elmo doesn't like cold, rainy weather.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Well folks,it looks as if I'll just be making an appearance on Friday just for the day to deliver/collect parts,

I was working on the M211 this evening moving a transmission from one truck to another,when the short driveline from the t'case PTO to the power divider let goin the wrecker(aparrent U joint failure) with this driveline out,the wrecker is for lack of a better description,a giant paperweight,so my moving/loading facilities are nil at this point.

With the 211s both in pieces,the M35 and 915/lowboy blocked in by the now broken wrecker,I guess the dodge will be my driver for that week.

So,I'll probably be there sometime friday morning with the dodge and trailer,stay a while and book it home that afternoon.
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After several nights working on the M62(late nights)and some part swapping it is back to operational again,I have the M211 replacment trans on the workbench and inner works pulled for cleaning and installiation into the other 211.

Oddball is now on standby pending the M211 trans verdict,the 915A1 is getting a new brake chamber and wheel seal this Sat, and I hope to start loading vehicles/parts/trailers by Monday evening.

The GA DOT kindly sent me my permit today,so I am now fully legal for the trip south next Thursday morning,but I am gonna have to fudge a bit on the way home,since permitted loads aren't allowed to move on Sundayaua

further updates will be posted.........Be advised,everything is moving at Flank speed here!!

Last edited:

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Any one bringing kids along i got my hands on a bag of glow sticks for free they are not the military ones but i think the kids will love them to have at night just find me and ill give them one till i run out.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Any one bringing kids along i got my hands on a bag of glow sticks for free they are not the military ones but i think the kids will love them to have at night just find me and ill give them one till i run out.
Be sure to save one for WM...I hate ta see a semi-grown man cryrofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the first person there with a wrecker or crane, please help me get this stuff out of my truck? I can do no trail riding with these monkeys on my back. I have loaded onto my truck a 5 gallon can of on road diesel fuel as a small payment for services rendered.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Will the first person there with a wrecker or crane, please help me get this stuff out of my truck? I can do no trail riding with these monkeys on my back. I have loaded onto my truck a 5 gallon can of on road diesel fuel as a small payment for services rendered.
I don't see a problem with this, just a thought, DID the MILITARY off load there trucks DESIGNED to go OFF ROAD before they went off road, maybe leave it loaded so we can have a demonstration of the OFF ROAD capabilities of a loaded deuce

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am bringing a bunch of shackles and lifting straps for loading and unloading stuff. Might even bring some new work gloves. first come on the gloves. Look me up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point Ron. I'm sure I could do some trail riding but in my honest opinion, the deuce was poorly laid out for securing other vehcles in the bed. I'm not saying that it is not securly strapped, just doubt that I want to take a chance, after all, not getting shot at (yet). Underneasth the trailers in the front is a new deuce transfer case still crated. After loading I left all of my straps in place for lifting, should be easy pickens getting this stuff off the truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright, now we are getting down to the wire, I want to make a couple of points.

1. I think we are going to have a BIG turnout this year. We want to make sure no one is left out, so make sure to introduce yourself. Many of the people who are coming are coming with a group of friends and people who know each other will tend to hang out together. So if you are new or you are by yourself, you simply need to jump in!

2. If you get there during the day and the camp seems "empty" we may be out riding the trails. If you don't want to set up your spot and wait, you can go ahead and come out to the trails. We will have commo between the camp and the trails this year so you can find the Camp Commo HQ and have them contact the Trail Ride Commander and he'll send someone back to camp to retrieve you and bring you to the group.

Looking forward to it!

Jimma

I need help getting a m105 trailer to the rally. Does anyone live anywhere near Black Creek , NC 27813 that is going? That is where it is currently located. Please get in touch with me if you could help by towing the trailer to the rally.

Thanks

Jim

airmech3839

It looks like work may get me again this year. I am in Little Rock and it seems that work will keep me here this week. I was originally going to be here just thru the weekend but it is getting ugly here and it may be longer. I am going to try and make it if I get back before its over. If it is just to hang out for a couple of hours before everyone goes home. I had put in for the days off and planned on staying out there with my 2 sons. Maybe we can make it, maybe not. Either way I have to take my boys camping....

Hope to see you guys soon.

Tracy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks