• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2013 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR13 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David,

We try to keep meals at the MKT as reasonable as possible, mainly the cost of the food and cooking it. We use volunteers to do the cooking and cleanup which helps to keep the cost low. Breakfast is usually $3, lunch $4, and supper from $5 to $7 ($7 is Saturday night steaks). Menu should be in post #2 and the meal service should start on Wednesday evening (travel and setup takes up most of Wednesday for me) with the last meal being Sunday morning. HTH.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do want to help out, I think we came up with a volunteer board at the registration table? with a list of what needs to be done for a minute, hour, day or the whole time? I seem to remember talking about that at some point.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fellow SSers is there a newbies guide for the Rally?
As long as you read everything in post #2 (linked below) you should know 99.9% of what there is to know about the rally

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Info-thread&p=1348866&viewfull=1#post1348866

Several of us up here in North Alabama / South Tennessee are interested in attending. I have read the older posts. Things to bring, stuff to do, spots that need help, etc. this would be the first rally for any of us.
I am obviously biased, but you really can't go wrong with this event. The cabins and RVs that you rent are decent-don't get me wrong, it's not the Hilton and the room service is.......non existent, but they've got beds, heat & a/c, hot showers, sinks, etc. They'll keep you dry if it rains, if you're not feeling well, you can lay down in a bed, etc. It's a big step up from sleeping in a deuce!

I think what you'd need to bring would be obvious stuff like a few changes of clothes, plus:

hat
sunscreen
lawn chairs
flashlight (it gets dark at night) *I can't believe I just typed that*
camera, with extra memory cards or your laptop/tablet so you can download the pictures so you can take more
firewood-even if you're coming in a Jeep or a 1009 and have no space, 1 log helps. We go through a lot and since the rally lasts several days, we need several days worth of firewood.
cooler with drinks
snacks for in between meals

Stuff to do:
The rally has vehicle displays, but they're very casual, it's not like an MVPA rally or a cruise night. Just feel free to walk around and look at everyone's stuff! Last year we had 106 military vehicles and over 50 military trailers, so it's a big event
Trailrides: There are very easy trails for the less adventurous and it can become as challenging as you want. Do not hesitate to go out in the woods with the group: There are no points that you have to harder/farther than your comfort level.
Swap meet: Decent swap meet and gets better and larger every year. Yes, you can bring your own stuff to sell and there are no fees for getting a vendor spot.
Hardball convoy: On Saturday morning, about 1030 hours, we'll load up and head out for lunch at a barbecue joint about 20 minutes away. Last year we took 39 trucks on the convoy and the pics and video were quite impressive. It was fun (my Dad and I both took a deuce).

Spots that need help: We always need help at the MKT, setting up, but especially cleaning up at night and taking it down Sunday morning. This would really help us out. The registration desk can always use some help in getting people directed to wherever they need to go when they arrive. Don't feel obligated to do any of these things, but we'll never turn help away!

I'm considering bringing my wife and daughter. She is 4, would that be a bad idea?
I would see no problem. My buddy brought his 4 year old and stayed 4 days with no problems. If your wife gets bored, Athens is less than an hour away and there's plenty to do there. The rally is kid friendly and plenty of people bring theirs.

Also we are looking at getting one of the RV's there. How is the bath house?
New bath house is pretty nice.

What is the cost for the meals from the MKT?
See: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-Info-thread&p=1393401&viewfull=1#post1393401

Are there trails for people that don't want to go slamming there trucks to pieces?
As I said above, there are really easy trails and when you get to difficult obstacles, there are "walkarounds" that let you bypass the difficult spots. I am not an experienced off roader and the worst thing I've ever done is bent a mirror arm in 2008.

How do we know where and when we could assist where ever needed.
When you get there, the first thing you'll hit is the HQ registration desk and the staff there can direct you to everything and everyone.

Is there a needed supplies list for the overall event? I saw firewood, radios, etc.
See above where I listed the firewood and other stuff.

Sorry for all the questions. There would probably be atleast 3 vehicles and maybe as many as 7.
No problem, we're happy to have ya'll! We know you'll have a great time. I've been to a lot of MV events and this one stands out in so many ways.

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Love reading this thread! Thankful for Clinto keeping this Rally going year after year and to think I met/knew him before the first one.
Love camp-outs, it was a constant when growing up and when the planets line up just right I'll arrive in my 757, maybe this year, but can't tell you for sure.
I appreciate the kind words, but the real people who have made the rally grow and keep going are the attendees, the MKT crew and all the people who help with registration, setting up, running, cleaning and taking down the MKT operation, the trail ride leaders, etc.

We're only keeping it going now out of ego and vanity rofl

Sorry for some of my questions earlier. I just checked the thread on my computer and see most of what I asked was already answered, don't know how I missed all that on my phone. Thanks for all the replies though.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for some of my questions earlier. I just checked the thread on my computer and see most of what I asked was already answered, don't know how I missed all that on my phone. Thanks for all the replies though.
David, not a problem! It is a good reminder to everyone of some of the basic items. Secondarily your question got this thread back on track :) Thank You.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, Swiss...... "It is fairly clean and separate men and womens. The funny thing is last year I did not even get a chance to visit the bath house"..... someone was supposed to talk to you about that!!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I resent that :jumpin: anyone that seen the inside knows what this means.

No way could anyone compare your 6-wheel rive Taj Mahal to a deuce.

Your truck is an all wheel drive mansion!

stationjj

Hey,

I am part of the group coming from Middle Tennessee. I am excited. Should be fun! I am bringing my M1009 and M101a2.

Any Ham Radio operators coming? I notice Mike our chef has a radio. Anyone else? What's the good repeater in the area to hit off of? I am KK4LNG.

Should I Bring my Dog? I am not sure? He is a very friendly 9 year old lab. Mike he works free as a plate cleaner. HAHA! As anyone taken there dog before? Is it to much of a hassle?

Swiss, I sent you a PM. I volunteer my services. What do you need?

John

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
tennmogger is usually the CRO (Chief Radio Operator) at the GA Rally, but didn't make it last year. Feel free to bring 2 meter, 6 meter, and GRMS/CB radios but be sure to bring operators for them or they may sprout legs accidentally.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just made my reservations at Durham town. Getting excited!
Excellent news. I think accommodations are getting in short supply, so your timing is good. Too bad you can't come down until Thurs evening. I'm coming down Wednesday morning and I'm in the Dog House (more ways than one) so your Dad can stay with me Wed night. I won't have anyone else with me until later.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
To the ones bringing kids or dogs! Be mindful that there will be large trucks moving that can not see them. Lets not have any accidents! Please!

ODDBALL007

Re: Official 2013 SS Ga. Rally Info thread

Excellent news. I think accommodations are getting in short supply, so your timing is good. Too bad you can't come down until Thurs evening. I'm coming down Wednesday morning and I'm in the Dog House (more ways than one) so your Dad can stay with me Wed night. I won't have anyone else with me until later.
Youll like the doghouse. Excellent scalding hot water....:thumbup: i stayed there last year plus linda and i will arrive on 10-06-2013 in the after noon....

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nancy and myself pland on seting up the coffee . I got 2 30 cup pots for reg coffee and 2 12 cup pots for decaff planding on parking same place this year behind MKT .I sent SCSG-G4 a pm to let him know . We talked about doing this last year when we were taking down the MKt . Last year I only had a 12 cup pot for reg coffee and a 5 cup pot for decaff made a lot of coffee . Trying to make it better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.