• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Multimedia SSGR14 thread

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I guess on your chart Clinto the M916 CCC was in with the M915?
Yes, I looked to see what the correct nomenclature was for the 915 series of trucks and couldn't find anything other than "915" series, so that's what I called them. If there is a correct designator for that family (like M44, M809, M939, etc.) let me know and I'll correct it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
truck tractor. Line haul, 50,000 gvwr,

6 x 4, m915 (nsn 2320-01-028-4395)

truck tractor,

light equipment transporter (let),

56,000 gvwr, 6 x 6, w/winch, m916 (nsn 2320-01-028-4396)

truck tractor,

medium equipment transporter (met),

75,000 gvwr, 8 x 6, w/winch, m920 (nsn 2320-01-028-4397)

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I looked to see what the correct nomenclature was for the 915 series of trucks and couldn't find anything other than "915" series, so that's what I called them. If there is a correct designator for that family (like M44, M809, M939, etc.) let me know and I'll correct it.
Yes you had to make groups of trucks. Or the pie would have been cut up in tiny slivers.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray,

While the registration desk tried to capture the head count it isn't accurate or reliable enough to share here.

We know it was more than 200 and more likely closer to the 350-400 range. BUT, that is just my speculation.

steve

jasonjc

I'm 99% sure it is just the M915 series, which includes the M915+A's,M916,M917,M918,M919 and M920.

M915,M916,M920 are tractors
M917 is a dump truck
M918 is Bitumus (tar)tanker
M919 is a cement mixing truck, think cement plant on wheels, not the every day mixer. Real cool some one on here has one.

zout

There were HUGE amounts of folks continually from my viewpoint - more than I have ever seen. Less of the DH biker crowd but those who came in had young adults with them which was great to see.

I have NEVER been out on the trails which is no loss as I daily see folks abuse their tractors and trailers which I have to account for and budget and have the crew repair to put them back into service so I am not missing a thing - BUT - I understand the need and thrill to do so - so do not hammer on me for sitting aside on this one - its just my viewpoint from my position of my job I see Daily. Now IF I had something I could hammer on I could tow home I might be right with ya all.

I saw personally or heard over the PA system less rides headed out ???? might have been more - might have been less but it seemed like a lot less groups headed out from what was happening in the past. Is there a count on this ??

Still - a FANTASTIC accomplishment to ALL involved - GREAT 2014 RALLY Folks - you deserve an applause and a stand up congradulations.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I saw personally or heard over the PA system less rides headed out ???? might have been more - might have been less but it seemed like a lot less groups headed out from what was happening in the past. Is there a count on this ??
I strongly doubt we have any kind of count on the number of trail rides or the number of vehicles or riders who went. It would be difficult to get any kind of accurate count since we allow people to ride on their own without trail rider leaders.

I only got to go on one ride this year.

I will say this-I've taken the Deuce, the Mule, the M38A1 and my GPW on trail rides and have never damaged any of them. I fully admit I am a conservative off roader but I did accidentally take the Mule swimming a couple years ago, when Squirt-Truck and I turned around in what we thought was shallow water and the mule slid off a hidden ledge and went underwater. I had to flush the hubs and axles, pull everything apart and service it, I had to pull the plugs and flush the water out of the cylinders and empty the air cleaner to get it to run, but it did run and got back to camp. I bent a mirror bracket on my '67 M35A2 in 2008 but no damage to the truck itself.

scottgs

I agree, it sure seem like there were fewer trail rides. I personally attributed it to the PA system failure. I only drove in one very short trail ride, and rode along in another. In the past, I would go on at least one a day, and I was there 4 days, not counting Sunday. I never got to see Joe's Goat on the trails... :(

I also agree that the trail rides are pretty conservative, other than the water holes. I believe this is a good thing, as many of us have a several hundred mile trip home, and trashing our trucks first is not a good idea... Having said that, they are challenging enough to be fun, and I've always greatly enjoyed seeing these old warriors do their thing off-road. :)

Garret

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, it sure seem like there were fewer trail rides. I personally attributed it to the PA system failure. I only drove in one very short trail ride, and rode along in another. In the past, I would go on at least one a day, and I was there 4 days, not counting Sunday. I never got to see Joe's Goat on the trails... :(

I also agree that the trail rides are pretty conservative, other than the water holes. I believe this is a good thing, as many of us have a several hundred mile trip home, and trashing our trucks first is not a good idea... Having said that, they are challenging enough to be fun, and I've always greatly enjoyed seeing these old warriors do their thing off-road. :)

Garret
I know exactly what your saying, round trip for me is 1,000 miles there and back. I drive it some what hard offroad. You can drive a trail beater very hard when you know you do not need it to get you home.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is the gama goat under other
Yes.

The other list consists of the following 10 vehicles:

M561, M886 x 2, Aircraft tug, M-gator, K18, SEMTT, W200 USAF, Elec.van, Flight Line Van

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks